Past & Present
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
Past & Present
By: Amy Azzarito
Gifted by Abrams Books
Reviewed by Melissa Conner
Artists and craft designers have several things in common, perhaps the most prominant being that they both need to find a way to combine several individual pieces into one functional piece. Smaller elements must work together to create something that's both meaningful and artistic, and both artists and craft designers know the challenge (and fun!) of creating a project this way. Whether your medium is paint or markers, paper or clay, making something out of nothing is a challenge the human race has enjoyed for centuries.
If you have an appreciation for the arts, you're going to love the originality and design of Past & Present by Amy Azzarito.
In Past & Present, Azzarito presents 24 pairs of essays and DIY projects that explore the connection between art and craft. With projects inspired by famous works of art, this book makes art of bygone eras fit perfectly into our contemporary living spaces. Beginning with the famous art of Renaissance Italy and moving into Hollywood regency art of the 1930's, Azzarito looks at the elements that made up some of the most famous works of art of each time period and offers craft tutorials that show off that element. This is a beautiful and smart book that designers and crafters alike have been waiting for.
Each chapter in Past & Present covers a certain period of art history. A brief essay describes the art of the time and what inspired it, and a variety of craft projects follow. For example, The State Bed was an artistic symbol of 17th century England. And perhaps the most iconic part of the State Bed was the tassel trim. To help highlight the importance of this style in 17th century England, Azzarito includes a project for a beautiful Tassel Blanket that's perfect for adding a touch of class and art to your bedroom decor.
If you love the look of classic art and want to find a way to bring that style into your contemporary decor, you're going to love the projects and tutorials in Past & Present. This book does a great job joining "art" and "craft" and will have you looking at all kinds of art in a new way.
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Project of the Day
This great kitchen canister set is just like Martha's! Keep all your food organized with this easy kitchen craft. These Martha… Continue reading: "Martha Stewart Knockoff Canisters"
- Win Adult Coloring Books!
- Zentangle Basics Book Review
- Look, Learn, & Create: Crochet
- I Like Crochet Digital Magazine
- Card Making with Cricut
- How to Make 100 Paper Flowers
- Enter for your chance to win the Cute Knitted Creatures Book and Yarn Bundle Giveaway!
- Make It In Minutes
- Paracord Crafts
- Win a copy of Cold Weather Crochet!
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Cross Puff Stitch Crochet Square
- Diy Fleece Tie Blanket
- Diamond Quilt C2c Graphgan
- Bearrison Bear
- Slithering Shawl
- Free Alphabet Bingo Printable Game For Kids
- Shamrock Pillow
- K'nex DIY Easter Cross
- Stenciled Treat and Dog Leash Holder
- Jolly Beanie
- 11 Crochet Shawl Patterns: Crochet Poncho Patterns, Free Easy Crochet Patterns and More
- 12 Knitted Scarf Patterns: Fabulous Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
- 14 Free Crochet Patterns for Babies and Toddlers
- 16 Free Crochet Hat Patterns, Scarves, and Gloves
- 22 Free Crochet Patterns: Afghan Patterns, Crochet Hats, and More
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- 7 Adult Coloring Pages
- 8 Free Apron Sewing Patterns
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- Quick & Easy Decoupage: 12 Fabulous Mod Podge Projects for Your Home