Customize Your Knitting Review
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
Customize Your Knitting Review
By: Margaret Hubert
Gifted by: Quarto Publishing Group
Reviewed by: Dana Byerwalter, Editor, FaveCrafts.com
Guarantee your knit project will fit anyone with Customize Your Knitting, a book that teaches you how to adjust patterns to fit a variety of body types. This book from the Quarto Publishing Group includes instructions to increase and decrease stitches in standard patterns to ensure sweaters will fit properly.
Author Margaret Hubert explains that most designers create patterns with the classic rectangle body type in mind. While nearly half of the population matches the standard rectangle body type, over half the population fits another shape. Since the majority of people fit into other categories, a need for variations on patterns is certainly present. Whether you are a triangle, inverted triangle, or hourglass, each body type requires slight alterations to standard rectangle patterns.
This book teaches you how to customize your knitting for body type and also general style preference. Maybe you love the look of a particular sweater pattern but you'd prefer to add a bit of frill at the cuffs. Perhaps you'd prefer to add pockets to an otherwise ideal pattern. Not only will you learn how to adjust patterns for need-based reasons, but you'll also learn how to change them up based on preference, too.
The first section focuses on altering patterns. Four sweaters/cardigans are included and alterations are featured for each body type. Hubert says that once you've mastered the basic techniques for adjusting patterns, you can apply them to any project.
The second section moves into professional finishes. I particular enjoy the Good Habits chapter on page 77. I usually make scarves or other projects where gauge isn't important, but be advised that gauge is crucial for customizing your knitting. Hubert states, "Making a gauge swatch before starting your project is so important that failing to do it pretty much guarantees failure of the project." If that isn't an incentive to get into this good habit, I don't know what is! In this second section you'll also find some common problems and remedies.
In the third section, Stylish Embellishments, you'll learn how to add decorative edges, motifs, ties, and embroidery to your finished projects. Truly customize your knitting with this fabulous collection! Ensure your projects fit and are completely embellished to your liking.
What is the most complicated pattern you've ever tried? What made it so challenging?
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Project of the Day
Easy DIY Christmas crafts, like this Crafty Coca Cola Advent Calendar from I Love to Create, are great holiday projects! Made from an… Continue reading: "Crafty Coca Cola Advent Calendar"
- Win a copy of Duct Tape Bags!
- Win a copy of Needle Felting from Basics to Bears!
- Enter for your chance to win the Hidden Jewels Coloring Books Bundle!
- Preschool Parties Easy Ideas for Princesses, Pirates and Other Little People
- The Wreath Recipe Book
- A Beginner's Guide to Chalk Painting
- Modern Expressions
- Paracord Outdoor Gear Projects
- Win Adult Coloring Books!
- Chance to win Tangle Wood Collector's Edition Adult Coloring Bundle!
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Free Crochet Easter Egg Shape Pattern In 3 Sizes
- Bear Paw Quilt Block
- Tiktok Bee Crochet Pattern In 3 Sizes
- How To Make A Diy Bee House For Mason Bees
- Stella Fingerless Gloves
- Spring Activity Sheets And Coloring Pages
- Dara Table Runner
- Map Paper Moths
- C2c Squirrel
- Equinox Blanket
- 11 Crochet Shawl Patterns: Crochet Poncho Patterns, Free Easy Crochet Patterns and More
- 12 Knitted Scarf Patterns: Fabulous Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
- 14 Free Crochet Patterns for Babies and Toddlers
- 16 Free Crochet Hat Patterns, Scarves, and Gloves
- 22 Free Crochet Patterns: Afghan Patterns, Crochet Hats, and More
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- 7 Adult Coloring Pages
- 8 Free Apron Sewing Patterns
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- Quick & Easy Decoupage: 12 Fabulous Mod Podge Projects for Your Home