Plaid Stuffed Fabric Pumpkins
Learn how to make fabric pumpkins with real stems!
Learn how to make fabric pumpkins with real stems! This darling project is a wonderful way to sew your way into the fall season. Create beautiful Plaid Stuffed Fabric Pumpkins to decorate the inside of your home. You can select plaid colors and designs like buffalo checks or tartan that fit your home's aesthetic! This is a wonderful easy sewing pattern that is polished off with fantastic finishing details like a twine-wrapped stem and beautiful leaves. You don't have to worry about these pumpkins rotting at the end of the season. Make pumpkins that last for years to come!
Project TypeMake a Project
Time to CompleteIn an evening
- FOR LARGE PUMPKIN: 1 yd. Plaid fabric, 3 yds. Twine, 1 12" Fairfield Pillow Ball, 1 Elastic band
- FOR MEDIUM PUMPKIN: ¾ yd. Shannon White Cuddle Fabric, 20 oz. Bag Poly-fil fiber fill, 1 Stick for stem
- FOR SMALL PUMPKIN: ½ yd. White Shannon Cuddle Fabric, ½ yd. each two matching plaids, 12 oz. Poly-fil® Premium fiber fill, 1 Stick for Stem
- FOR LEAVES: ¼ yd. Green fabric, ¼ yd. Structure two sided fusible interfacing, Green floral wire
- Pumpkin Patterns PDF
- Coordinating threads
- Sewing Machine
- Basic sewing supplies
Enter for a chance to win the Crafter's Poly-fil Bag Giveaway during the 10 Days of Thanks! This giveaway runs until November 18th and you can receive an extra entry by commenting below on this page. Be sure to also check out the grand prize giveaway featuring all the daily prizes in the 10 Days of Thanks!
Lay the fabric on a table right side facing down and place the pillow ball in the center. Wrap the fabric up around the pillow ball gathering it at the top with an elastic band.
Tie one end of the twine around the elastic band and then starting at the base wrap the twine up and down around the fabric creating a stem for the pumpkin. Tie and tuck in the end of the twine.
Using the template for the medium pumpkin cut 6 pieces from the white fabric.
Start by sewing three of the panels together with right sides facing in creating one side of the pumpkin. Sew the other three panels together in the same manner.
Now sew both sides together with right sides facing in and leaving an opening on top to for the fiber and stick. Turn right side out and fill with desired amount of Poly-fil fiber fill, insert stick and sew the opening closed around the stick.
Use template for the small pumpkin cut four pieces from the white fabric and two pieces from each of the plaid fabrics. Start by sewing four of the panels together with right sides facing in and making sure there is a white panel in between all the plaid panels.
Repeat with the other four pieces for the other side of the pumpkin. Now sew both sides together with right sides facing in and leaving an opening on top to for the stick. Turn right side out and fill with the desired amount Poly-fil fiber fill, insert stick and sew the opening closed around the stick.
Fold the green fabric in half width wise with and place a piece of double sided fusible Structure interfacing in between. Iron on medium-high. Now cut out the leaves using the templates. You will need two smaller leaves for the small pumpkin and 3 larger leaves for the medium pumpkin.
Sew around the edge of the leaves and sew a line in the center about 2/3 of the way up from the bottom. Crimp the center of the bottom end together. Pin and hand tack. This will give the leaves some dimension. Wrap the floral wire around a pencil to create the vines. Leave a tail on one end of the wire to tie it around the stem. Sew leaves to the top of the pumpkin and wrap the vines around the stem.
- There is a maximum of one extra entry per person. The extra entry will be based upon a comment left on this post. Duplicate comments are not tallied.
- The winner will be selected at random from the comments on this page and the entries on the contest page.
- The winner will be contacted on the morning of November 19th, 2018.
- Email Address provided in their account (please do NOT leave your email address in the comments--you already provided it when you created your account)
- You have until November 18th, 2018 at 11:59pm EST to leave your comment on this post. Comments posted after that will not be counted.
- Contest open to anyone 18+ in US and/or Canada. Excludes Quebec and Puerto Rico.
How do you decorate your home for autumn?
Read NextFall Book Page Leaf Banner