Mod Podge Basics + 10 Mod Podge Crafts
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
Learn how to get a perfect decoupage project every time. If you're new to Mod Podge, read these instructions thoroughly for hassle-free Mod Podging. Wrinkles are a common problem for many Mod Podge beginners. Please read these instructions thoroughly for hassle-free Mod Podging.
We promise that if you follow these instructions, you will have success and be a very happy Mod Podger! Gather up your Mod Podge, paper towels, pens, paper and more to get started. This is a great excuse to get a little dirty while creating something amazing.
Mod Podge Basics +
9 Mod Podge Crafts
Table of Contents
Our fabulous free eBook from Plaid, Quick & Easy Decoupage: 12 Fabulous Mod Podge Projects for your Home, is filled with more Mod Podge ideas, crafts, tips and so much more. This free downloadable eBook also featured five photo-rich pages on how to use Mod Podge, so you won't have any questions about how to get started. Learn how to make Mod Podge crafts you can hang or display with pride - it's so much easier than you might think.
Gather These Supplies: You will ALWAYS need these items on hand for any project. It is assumed with all of the instructions in this book that you have the following items at your disposal: Mod Podge, paper towels, foam plates or palette, scissors, craft knife and mat, water basin, craft glue, ruler and tape measure, pencil or pen, sandpaper.
Prepare surface: Almost any surface can be used to create a decoupage project. Appropriate surfaces include wood, papier mache, terra cotta, tin, cardboard, glass and craft foam. Only SOME plastics are suitable for decoupage – we recommend testing a small area before completing your entire project to make sure that the Mod Podge will adhere.
Here are some surfaces that may need some extra attention in their preparation. All other surfaces can be decoupaged without any preparation, although you should always make sure that the surface you are working with is clean and dirt free.
- Glass: Wash and dry with a lint free cloth to remove surface oils.
- Tin: If it is an older tin surface, clean with a 50/50 vinegar and water solution. A wire brush can be used on stubborn rust spots.
- Wood: Sand unfinished wood surfaces with fine grit sandpaper until smooth. Fill any holes with wood putty and sand again. Wipe clean with a damp paper towel.
Note: You don’t have to, but you will want to paint many items before decoupaging if your surface is unfinished. We recommend FolkArt or Apple Barrel Acrylic Paints for basecoating.
Free Craft Video: How to Make a Dollar Store Cookie Sheet Magnet Board
Most items, especially thicker papers, are ready to be Mod Podged as is.
Fabric – Wash and dry the fabric (do not use fabric softener). Iron and then lay out on a covered work surface. Wax paper is preferable for covering your table. Using a brush, paint a light coat of Fabric Mod Podge onto your fabric. Allow to dry. This will allow you to cut the fabric like paper without frayed edges.
Paper – If you are working with thinner sheets of scrapbook paper, it may help to spray your paper with a clear acrylic sealer before Mod Podging. Spray both sides and allow to dry before using.
Tissue Paper – There is nothing that you need to do to prepare tissue paper, but just be advised that because it is so thin, it is very difficult to Mod Podge without wrinkles. The good news is that wrinkles are typically part of the charm of using tissue paper and add a little character to your surface. Mod Podge tissue paper carefully so that it doesn’t tear.
Plan Your Design
Cut out your paper or whatever it is that you are planning to decoupage. Experiment with design elements to determine the layout of your piece. Add interest to your design by using large and small pieces, layering and overlapping elements and coordinating colors.
Adhere Your Design
Adhere each element with the Mod Podge finish of your choice. Always start with the underlying design elements and work your way upward. Apply a medium coat of Mod Podge to the surface. Too little Mod Podge and you will get wrinkles – you can always wipe away excess Mod Podge. Place your item(s) to be decoupaged on top of the Mod Podge and smooth thoroughly.
Keep smoothing until all of the bubbles are removed.
When working with large pieces, smooth from the center outward. Air bubbles can be removed with the Mod Podge Tool Set. Use the squeegee with smaller items such as trays – it was developed specifically for getting into corners.
Use the brayer for larger items such as furniture. Wipe away excess Mod Podge with your brush. For very small elements, brush adhesive onto the project surface and apply each element with tweezers.
Note: Once you have adhered all your elements to your surface, allow the design to dry for NO LESS than 15 minutes before moving to step 4.
Seal Your Project
Add a protective coat of Mod Podge to your project using a sponge or flat brush. Allow to dry and then repeat. The number of coats you finish with is up to you, but we recommend at least two.
For a very smooth finish, wet a piece of #400 grit sandpaper with water and sand lightly between coats. Wipe dry and polish with #0000 steel wool on the final coat.
To avoid tackiness, use a clear acrylic spray.
Once your project is dry, add embellishments as desired. Adhere them with a suitable adhesive such as hot glue, craft glue or epoxy.
Mod Podge Dimensional Magic can also be used as an embellishment. Dimensional Magic creates a raised surface similar to an epoxy sticker. It can be used on top of a Mod Podged surface, on top of a painted surface and works especially well with jewelry. Your project is now complete! Allow it to dry for 24 – 48 hours before using.
If you're looking for more Mod Podge projects that will be useful, pretty, and loads of fun to make, 12 Fun & Fabulous Mod Podge Projects- Jewelry, Gifts & Decorations for the Holidays is exactly what you need. This free downloadable PDF eBook is perfect for crafters who think they've seen it all. Decorate your walls, desk and even your kitchen counters with homemade Mod Podge crafts - it's a great way to breathe new life into old items.
Yarn Storage Box NEW!
Find our favorite decoupage projects in this collection of 40+ Fabulous Decoupage Ideas. You won't believe how many creative options there are for Mod Podge crafts and will want to get started right. From storage boxes to magazine holders, there are plenty of great Mod Podge ideas to keep you busy for days. Cover every surface in Mod Podge and change the look of your entire space. You can also give your Mod Podge crafts away as gifts, so there's no need to spend money on generic presents people won't use.
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
- How to Remove Hot Glue from Any Surface
- Mod Podge Basics + 10 Mod Podge Crafts
- 19 Paper Craft Techniques
- How to Fold and Score Paper
- How to Weave Without Special Equipment
- How to Grout Mosaics Photo Tutorial
- Reverse Painting Technique on Glass
- Tissue Paper Tie Dye Project
- Super Easy T Shirt Yarn Project
- Types of Glue for Crafting
- 31 Halloween Craft Projects
- 8 Free Apron Sewing Patterns
- Wrap Up With 25 Afghan Patterns from Red Heart Yarn
- Quick & Thrifty Crochet Patterns
- Make It A Red Heart Holiday
- Quick and Easy Decoupage from Plaid
- Homemade Christmas Gift Guide
- 9 Thanksgiving Decorations to Make
- The Make My Own Holiday Gifts Guide
- Fun & Fabulous Mod Podge Projects From Plaid
- Handmade Craft Ideas from 2010: A Year of Free Crafts
- We've Got You Covered: 25 Crochet and Knit Throws
- Jewelry for You! How to Make Handmade Beaded Bracelets and Necklaces
- 18 Homemade Christmas Decorations: How to Make Christmas Decorations
- How To Create 14 Sparkly Craft Projects Using Krylon Glitter Blast
- Jolly Holidays: 15 Free Knit and Crochet Gifts and Holiday Projects
- 23 Gingerbread House Designs and Recipes
- Perfect for Christmas Gift Giving: 6 'Gift in a Jar' Ideas
- 34 Holiday Ideas for Gifts in a Jar
- Santa's Guide to Easy Christmas Crafts for Kids
- 16 Angel Crafts to Make: Homemade Christmas Ornaments & Decorations
- Creative Ideas for the Holiday Home
- 22 Summer Crafts for Kids
- 26 Spring Crafts for Kids
- Family Fun Crafts: 16 Craft Ideas for Kids
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- Knitting and Crochet Patterns from Red Heart Yarn
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- Baby Love
- 22 Free Crochet Patterns: Afghan Patterns, Crochet Hats, and More
- How to Knit: Beginner Knitting Help and 7 Free Patterns
- 14 Free Crochet Patterns for Babies and Toddlers
- 16 Free Crochet Hat Patterns, Scarves, and Gloves
- From Head to Toe, Young to Old: 26 Knit and Crochet Accessories
- Hop into Spring: Easter Crafting and Recipe
- Easter Craft eBook: Blogger Edition
- Easter Crafts: Blogger Edition 2010
- Easter Eggs: Easter Egg Designs, Tips for Perfect Hard Boiled Eggs, Egg Recipes
- How To Halloween: Projects from Bloggers
- Homemade Halloween Decorations
- Creative Crafting all Year Round: Crafts to Celebrate the Holidays
- Irish for a Day: St. Patrick's Day Craft and Recipe Guide
- 4th of July Crafts and Recipes
- Mother's Day Crafting: Blogger Edition
- Crafts for Mom: 30 Free Craft Projects for Mother's Day
- Father's Day Crafts
- Mother's Day Crafts: Blogger Edition 2010
- Father's Day Crafts: Blogger Edition 2010
- 14 New Year's Eve Party Ideas, Recipes, Drinks & Decorations
- 4th of July Crafts: Blogger Edition 2010
- 24 Thanksgiving Dinner Recipes and Fall Craft Projects
- 25 Easy to Make Homemade Jewelry Crafts
- Beautiful Beads
- 20 Bracelet Patterns: Macrame Bracelets, Friendship Bracelets, Hemp Bracelets, and More
- Fun with Fabric Dye
- 24 Simple Scrapbooking Layouts
- Garden Crafts
- 42 Ways to Recycle
- 31 Cupcake Inspired Creations
- Project Ideas for All Occasions From Paper to Fabric
- 24 Tie-Dye Techniques: Free Tie-Dye Patterns
- Sewing for Beginners
- Graduation Crafts
- DIY Wedding
- 33 Summer Wedding Ideas
- 12 Thrifty Trash to Treasure Crafts
- Cheap Home Decor: Crafting with Paper
- Great Decor in a Flash Without a Lot of Cash
- Low-Cost Clothing Crafts
- Inexpensive Home Decor
- Cheap and Easy Crafts
- Low-Cost Kitchen Crafts
- Cupid's Handmade Crafts
- How To Make Tie Dye Shirts, Decor & More: 18 Tie Dye Patterns
- 2012 Holiday Gift Guide for Crafters
- Have a Red Heart Holiday: 20 Knit & Crochet Gifts and Decorating Ideas
- Trash to Treasure: 28 Recycled Crafts
- Crafting With The Craftwell eCraft and eBosser: Scrapbooking, Paper Crafts, and So Much More
- 25 Free Craft Projects for Every Crafter - The Ultimate Craft Guide
- 25 Cool Things to Do with Wine Bottles
- 18 Crafts with Felt: Simple Craft Ideas, Felt Flowers, & More
- Crafts for Father's Day: 36 Homemade Father's Day Gift Ideas
- 23 Fabulous Picnic Craft Ideas + Restaurant Copycat Recipes
- How to Make a Purse: 20 Patterns for Sewing Totes, Bags and More
- 17 Easy Crafts with Yarn: Make Accessories, Decor and More with Lion Brand Imagine Yarn
- Homemade Christmas Gifts: 14 Gift Ideas & DIY Home Dcor
- Welcome to Our Home: Knit and Crochet Ideas from Red Heart
- 20 Crafts with Mason Jars: Wedding Ideas, Centerpieces, Dcor and More
- 14 Toilet Paper Roll Craft Ideas
- How to Make Bows, Hair Pins and More: 33 DIY Hair Accessories
- 11 Teacher-Approved Crafts for School
- Fuse Creativity System Project Guide: Fun Party Themes, Idea for Handmade Cards, And More Paper Crafts from Fiskars
- The Ultimate Craft Guide: 25 Free Craft Projects for Every Crafter
- Summer Crafts for Kids
- Learn How to Knit for Beginners: 27 Easy Knitting Patterns
- 31 Halloween Craft Projects
- Thanksgiving Crafts
- Holiday How-To: Thanksgiving Crafts and Pumpkin Recipes
- Quick & Easy Decoupage: 12 Fabulous Mod Podge Projects for Your Home
- 18 Crafts with Felt: Simple Craft Ideas, Felt Flowers & More
- 41 Valentine's Day Crafts: Valentine's Day Cards, Gifts and More
- 24 Valentine's Day Crafts for Kids: Lovely Kids Crafts Ideas and Projects
- 21 Easy Sewing Projects: DIY Designs and Sewing Craft Ideas
- 24 Polymer Clay Tutorials: Polymer Clay Jewelry, Home Decor, and More
- 17 Flower Craft Ideas: How To Make Paper Flowers, Easy Fabric Flowers and More
- 18 Projects Every Crafter Wants
- Crochet Patterns, Painting Ideas, and More: 15 New DIY Crafts
- 13 Spring Crafts: Easter Craft Ideas, Spring DIY Home Dcor, and More
- How to Paint Furniture: 19 Upcycled Furniture Projects from DecoArt
- 12 Knitted Scarf Patterns: Fabulous Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
- 11 DIY Christmas Decorations and Gift Ideas
- Make it Yours: How To Spray Paint Furniture, Home Decor Projects, Holiday Crafts and More with Krylon Spray Paint
- 12 Easy DIY Projects
- The Best Blogger Craft Ideas 2015: Home Decor Ideas, DIY Jewelry, Easy Crochet Patterns and More
- Painting the Seasons with Americana Multi-Surface Acrylics
- Recycled Craft Ideas: Easy Crafts to Make with Recycled Material
- Trash to Treasure: 28 Recycled Crafts
- Homemade Christmas Gifts: 14 Gift Ideas & DIY Home Decor
- 2012 Holiday Gift Guide for Crafters
- 14 Free Crochet Patterns for Babies & Toddlers
- 21 Easy Sewing Projects: DIY Designs and Sewing Craft Idea
- 41 Valentine's Day Crafts: Valentine's Day Cards, Gifts, and More
- 24 Valentine's Day Crafts for Kids: Lovely Kids Craft Ideas and Projects
- 38 Holiday Crafts: Holiday Decorating Ideas for Every Season
- The Best Blogger Craft Ideas 2014
- 21 Easy Sewing Projects: DIY Designs and Sewing craft Ideas
- 12 Fun & Fabulous Mod Podge Projects: Jewelry, Gifts & Decorations for the Holidays
- Great Gift Ideas: Knitting and Crochet Patterns from Red Heart Yarn
- 24 Handmade Craft Ideas from 2010: A Year of Free Crafts
- 13 DIY Home Decor Ideas
- How to Tie Dye: 10 Tie Dye Instructions & Techniques
- 13 DIY Home Decor Ideas
- How To Tie Dye: 10 Tie Dye Instructions And Techniques
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Bush Baby T-Shirt Craft
- Watermelon Tie Dye Design
- Dipped Shorts Tie Dye Technique
- Quirky Tie Dye Bracelet
- Frog Coin Purse
- Precious Panda Knit Hat
- Men's Woodsy Knit Cowl Pattern
- Chunky Funky One Day Blanket
- Sweet-ish Knit Hat Pattern
- How to Dye a Shirt with RIT Dye