Chic Coffee Tray Decoupage Idea
Transform an old tray into a decorative piece that does double duty when you learn how to decoupage this pretty craft idea.
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
In the Designer’s Words: "Celebrate the warmer weather with this beautiful tray. Big enough to hold two coffee mugs, this tray is ideal when you want to enjoy the outdoors. Use a napkin with a sunflower as the focus point, and add a twist by adding the spots of your favorite animal. The tray will be an interesting conversation topic, and your friends will be in awe when they realize that the tray was handmade."
Decoupage ideas do not need to be limited to simple frames and paper crafts. Grab an old tray from the thrift store and learn how to decoupage a wooden tray into a stunning and stand-out piece of home décor. The example used in this tutorial used a sunflower napkin, but you could easily change this up with scrapbook paper, fabric, or even old photos. Follow the full mod podge craft instructions below, and you will have a practical and pretty decoupaged masterpiece before you know it.
If you are absolutely in love with using decoupage ideas to update home decor and other crafts, this list of mod podge crafts and more is going to be your new favorite collection. From home decor ideas to smaller decoupage crafting ideas, you are going to want to try everything in 40+ Fabulous Decoupage Ideas
Time to CompleteIn an evening
MaterialsMixed Media, Paint, Wood
Primary TechniqueDIY Craft
Project TypeMake a Project
- Natural wooden tray sized 6” x 8.6”
- Napkin with a sunflower printed on it
- Dala bronze antique rub
- Bright yellow acrylic paint
- Giotto decor pens: black, aquamarine blue, red
- Modge Podge
- Quick-drying clear gloss spray varnish
- 10/32” paint brush
- Pair of standard scissors
- Few sheets of old newspapers to protect the working area
- Two old soft cloths
How to Decoupage a TrayUse the hairdryer to dry the sunflower.
Use one of the cloths to gently apply Dala bronze antique rub to the wood and allow to dry thoroughly. Do not add the rub to the outer bottom of the tray.
Cut out the sunflower from the napkin and remove the bottom napkin layers from the sunflower.
Position the sunflower on the inner bottom of the tray and paint a substantial amount of Modge Podge over the top of the sunflower, so that it will stick to the tray. As the napkin can stretch or tear easily, it is best to start painting from the middle of the sunflower towards the sides, and working in small triangles. The Modge Podge must only be applied to the top, and must not run underneath the napkin.
Use the hairdryer to dry the sunflower.
Paint a thin layer of Mod Podge over the whole inner bottom of the tray. The Mod Podge will protect the napkin and give the product a smoother finish.
Dry the tray with the hairdryer.
Repeat steps 5-6 ~ you need to apply at least 5 coats of Modge Podge, but remember that with every layer, the direction in which the Mod Podge is applied, must be changed from horizontal to vertical to horizontal, etc. Also, remember that after every layer of Mod Podge, the tray must first be dried thoroughly with the hairdryer.
Add an uneven yellow wash to the sides and top edges of the tray. Allow to dry thoroughly.
Use the pencil to draw leopard spots around the sides of the tray. Color all the spots with the black Giotto pen and allow to dry.
Add a dot of blue on the edge of each black spot. While the ink is still wet, lightly rub over the ink with your finger to add a bluish shadow to the yellowish background. Do the same with the red pen.
Spray the sides, edges and inner bottom of the tray with the varnish and allow to dry thoroughly.
This DIY craft requires you to use mod podge or other decoupage materials on wood. This surface, while flawless for crafting, can be a bit tricky. Before you start this decoupage craft idea, check out our full tutorial on How to Decoupage on Wood
Let Us Know:
What piece of home decor do you use constantly?
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
- How to Make a Wooden Cross from a Picket Fence
- Amazing Grace DIY Wooden Cross
- Elegant Refurbished Entryway Cabinet
- DIY Coffee Table
- Chic Coffee Tray Decoupage Idea
- Faux Stacked Wood DIY Fireplace Insert
- Wooden Reindeer Ornament
- Stunning Birch Happy Hooks
- Abstract Dyed Wood Coasters
- Elegant Wood Wall Monograms
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Surface Slip Stitch Crochet Name Tags
- How To Set Up A Pretend Play Restaurant
- Quilted Handbag
- Diy Watercolor Sketchbook
- C2c Owl
- Mother's Day Free Printable Card
- Macramé Hanging Produce Bag
- Amigurumi Hair
- Free Crochet Easter Egg Shape Pattern In 3 Sizes
- Bear Paw Quilt Block
- 11 Crochet Shawl Patterns: Crochet Poncho Patterns, Free Easy Crochet Patterns and More
- 12 Knitted Scarf Patterns: Fabulous Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
- 14 Free Crochet Patterns for Babies and Toddlers
- 16 Free Crochet Hat Patterns, Scarves, and Gloves
- 22 Free Crochet Patterns: Afghan Patterns, Crochet Hats, and More
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- 7 Adult Coloring Pages
- 8 Free Apron Sewing Patterns
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- Quick & Easy Decoupage: 12 Fabulous Mod Podge Projects for Your Home