Autumn Scarecrow Pick
If you're looking for fun Thanksgiving table decorating ideas, take elements from the outdoors and make them miniature. Add an Autumn Scarecrow Pick from Heidi Borchers to your planters, centerpieces and more. You can also use them to make place cards.
- Aleene’s Tacky Dot Roll
- Aleene’s Original Tacky Glue
- Scarecrow Pick Patterns
- Cereal box – cut open to lay flat
- Acrylic paint – flesh, black
- Paint brush
- Fabric scraps (I used denim for the overalls and cotton print for the shirt, hat and bow)
- Brown bag scraps
- Craft stick(s)
- Black permanent marking pen
- Small hole punch
- String or embroidery floss (to hang sign)
- Optional: glass mason jar with sand, raffia, black beads (eyes), brown craft foam (nose)
Trace patterns onto cardboard. Cut along pattern lines.
Paint face with flesh paint and shoes with black paint. Let dry.
Cut fabric pieces into small squares and rectangles. Using photo as guide, apply a Tacky Dot to back of each fabric square and glue onto front of scarecrow body to create shirt and overalls.
Cut several pieces of 3/4″ x 1″ brown bag. Snip edges to create fringe. Crinkle and glue in place with Tacky Dots for straw at hands, feet and head.
Tear strip of fabric for bow. Tie into bow and glue at neckline with Tacky Glue.
Cut fabric from hat pattern and use Tacky Glue to glue over cardboard hat. If needed, trim to fit. Glue strip of fabric with Tacky Glue for hatband.
Glue hat to face, glue face to body with Tacky Glue.
Draw facial features with marking pen.
Apply Tacky Glue on end craft stick (about 1″) and glue to back of scarecrow leaving unglued portion at bottom to use as “pick”. If desired for more stability, glue another craft stick to back of scarecrow.
- For sign, glue several layers of brown bag together. Let dry. Cut to look like jagged edge. Write “THANKS” with marking pen. Punch holes in corners and tie with string.
For a comprehensive video tutorial of this project, check out Aleene's Thanksgiving Scarecrow Pick.
Read NextAwesome DIY Crochet Pumpkins