Vintage-Inspired DIY Apron
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
"The perfect vintage apron can be hard to find, particularly the really brilliant ones with a detachable towel. Have you seen these vintage beauties? They truly are a work of geniusas are many antique aprons.
In this tutorial, youll learn not only how to make your own vintage apron, but youll do it with a vintage pillowcase, and youll do it without a sewing machine. Yep, a no-sew apron! Exciting, yes?"
Project Type: Make a Project
Time to complete: In an evening
Sewn by: Hand
- Vintage pillowcase
- Hem tape
- Fabric belt
- Big button
- Needle and thread
- Safety pin
- Decide what shape you want your apron to be. Would you rather it be long or wideor both?
- Cut the pillowcase to desired shape, careful to leave a little extra room on each side as youll have to fold some of it down for hemming.
- Preheat iron to medium heatno steam.
- Turn apron upside down. Take one of the sides you wish to hem, and fold it down.
- Using the hot iron, press the folded-down edge.
- Measure out hem tape and place it flat inside the newly folded hem.
- Place and hold the iron onto the fabric for three to five seconds, careful not to ever let the iron touch the tape.
- Repeat across the entire edge until its all bonded.
- Turn apron right-side up and press once more, this time for one to three seconds.
- Repeat the above steps until all sidesapart from the top/waistare hemmed. For the apron pictured, only two sides needed to be cut and hemmed.
- Choose a string for your apron. For the pictured apron, a fabric belt was used that once belonged to a vintage dress.
- Make a three-inch fold at the waist and press with warm iron.
- Place hem tape under the fold, but this time lower and away from the fold so as to leave room for the belt to be strung across later on.
- Press fold as youve done before until its bonded and thread your belt!
- Hand sew a button to hold your (slightly snipped) washcloth. Voila!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive, partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- St. Patrick's Day Candy Treats
- Cuddly Quick Knit Throw Blanket
- Rustic Boot Cuffs
- DIY Easter Basket Ideas: 28 Easter Baskets to Make
- Easy Patterned Paper Wreath
- Mokume Gane Coasters with Cork
- Wine Bag Gift Packaging
- Shibori Style Dyed Pillows You Can Make
- Doodled T-Shirt with Fabric Markers
- 21 DIY Rainbow Crafts
- 11 Crochet Shawl Patterns: Crochet Poncho Patterns, Free Easy Crochet Patterns and More
- 12 Knitted Scarf Patterns: Fabulous Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
- 14 Free Crochet Patterns for Babies and Toddlers
- 16 Free Crochet Hat Patterns, Scarves, and Gloves
- 22 Free Crochet Patterns: Afghan Patterns, Crochet Hats, and More
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- 7 Adult Coloring Pages
- 8 Free Apron Sewing Patterns
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- Quick & Easy Decoupage: 12 Fabulous Mod Podge Projects for Your Home