Scrapbook Embellishment or Pin
Make your scrapbook standout with this embellishment or create an unique pin from AMACO.
- Keepsakes and Cards™ Metal Assortment Pack: Uses Light Aluminum and Dark Gold Metal Sheets
- ArtEmboss® Stylus Tool Set
- Fun Wire™ 22 gauge, any color
- Rub ’n Buff®: Ebony
- Fimo® Gloss Lacquer, 10 ml
- Assorted Wood Shaped Tags
- The Ornamentals™” Paper Punch: Cornice
- Long Reach Paper Punch: Oak Leaf
- Black Permapaque™ Marker
- Gelly Roll® Glaze™ Markers: Assorted Colors of Choice
- Super Tape, 51/2" x 41/2" Sheet, Double-Sided
- 8 x 6mm Spacer Bead: Old World Drum, Antiqued Silver Wash Finish
- 3-in-1 Jewelry Pliers
- Disposable Gloves
- Soft Cloth
- Card Stock, any color
- Ink Pen
- Scrap Paper
- E-6000 Glue
- 1" Pin Back
- Jump Rings
NOTE: For use as a Scrapbook Embellishment Additional Materials Needed:
- Scrapbook or Spiral Bound Notebook
- WireForm® Black Aluminum (8 Mesh) Modeler’s Mesh
- Friendly Plastic® Needle Tool
- 4 Round Head Mini Brads, Silver
- Zots™ Clear Adhesive 3-D Dots
- Stack of Newspapers or an Old Magazine
- Trace tag shape onto metal using ball tipped stylus. Use ink pen to trace the tag onto back side of Super Tape. Cut out tape and metal pieces. Set metal aside.
- Use Black permanent marker to color a 1/4" border around front side of both wooden tags. With same marker, color sides and back of tags; completely covering them. Let dry.
- Cut short lengths (approximately one to two inches long) of 22 gauge Fun Wire™. Use round nose of 3-in-1 jewelry pliers to curl wire ends; creating “S” shaped designs shown on larger tag and one eye with loop shaped nose for face on smaller tag. Place onto tags to adjust size as needed then remove.
- Apply the cut Super Tape pieces to appropriate size tags. Remove protective sheet to expose top layer of adhesive. Position wire pieces as desired (or referring to photo) then press with fingers to adhere to the wooden tag. Jump rings are used to create remaining eye (shown on left).
- Punch cornice and oak leaf shapes from cardstock. Use scissors to cut each shape in half. Press cornice onto large tag to add decorative effect; with half of leaf shape applied above eyes to create “eyebrows”.
- Align cut metal pieces with side edges of tag then press lightly with fingers to attach. Use flat edge of wooden stylus to smooth; gently working in and around cardstock, wire and jump ring embellishments. Use pointed end of stylus to gently emboss small detail areas found within the embedded shapes; taking care not to puncture the soft metal.
- Create a textured background that will give an authentic “aged” and/or a silver jewelry-like effect by embossing lines, swirls and other shapes or patterns into metal. Use ball-tipped stylus to punch through metal, inserting it first through back side of wooden tags’ pre-drilled hole, then through front to smooth edges.
- Use gloved finger to apply Ebony Rub ’n Buff® to metal, let set briefly (approximately one to two minutes) then buff off excess using soft cloth. Let dry. Use Glaze™ markers to add colorful accents to portions of the design. Let dry.
- Glue pieces together as shown. Brush with two to three coats of FIMO® Lacquer to seal and protect. Let dry. Glue pin back to back side. Cut two 4" lengths of 1mm leather lace. Insert two ends through hole at top of tag; bring all ends together and slip on barrel shaped spacer bead. Apply a dot of glue to lace before sliding bead into position at top of tag. Trim lace as desired.
Additional Instructions For Scrapbook Embellishment:
- Follow directions above to create same as with pin. DO NOT glue on pin back. Cut a piece of Black WireForm® slightly bigger than the finished metal image. Position on scrapbook (or notebook) cover marking where brads are to be placed. Remove wire and image. Open cover and place onto a stack of newspapers (or old magazine). Use needle tool to punch at marked holes. Attach WireForm using brads. Attach metal tag image to WireForm® and cover using two Zots® clear 3-D adhesive dots.