R2D2 Wall Hanging Quilt
Make a free quilt pattern that shows of your love of Star Wars in just one afternoon.
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
In the Designer's Words: "Your favorite droid is simple to make with this R2D2 Mini Quilt. Use DecoFoils to really make him shine! Paint "Love" with the iconic Star Wars yellow-outlined letters to use as a quilt hanger, as well! This mini quilt is fun and easy to make, and a great project for a young or beginner quilter!"
May the force be with you when you learn how to make a wall quilt pattern that resembles one of the most cherished characters from the Star Wars film franchise. The R2D2 Wall Hanging Quilt is an adorable free quilt pattern that looks just like C-3PO’s BFF. Created out of fat quarters and shiny Deco Foil, this Star Wars craft even shines like the real thing. Perfect for a little boy’s room or even in your own TV room.
Project TypeMake a Project
Time to CompleteWeekend project
- Fat Quarter Grey Solid Fabric
- Fat Quarter White Fabric
- Thermoweb DecoFoil Hot Melt Adhesive
- Thermoweb Decofoil in Blue, Red, Black, and Pewter
- Fairfield Cotton Batting
- Thermoweb Basting Spray
- Iron and Ironing Board
- Sewing Machine with Walking foot and grey thread
- Rotary Cutter and Ruler
- Needle to Bury Threads
Cut a 12x12" piece of the white fabric
Cut a 12x10" piece of the grey fabric.
Sew fabric together.
Press seam towards the dark side (see what I did there? The "Dark Side"? hahaha!)
Measure up 1.5" on the grey. Find the center. Use this center to mark a curve along the top.
Cut the Hotmelt adhesive. You'll need: 2 - 1"x2" 2 - 3/4"x2" 2 - 1"x1" 1 - 1"x6" 2 - 1"x4.5" 1 - 2"x4" with 1.5" boxes cut out of the middle 1 - 2"x3" 1 - 3"x4" cut into a trapezoid 1 - 2" circle
Place the HotMelt pieces onto the fabric according to the photo. Fuse in place. Allow to cool, then remove the paper backing.
Cut a 2" circle from the black Decofoil and a 1" circle from the red DecoFoil. Place on top of the HotMelt. DO NOT FUSE YET.
Cut a square large enough to cover the 2" circle out of the Pewter, and put in place. Cut the blue DecoFoil to cover all the other pieces.
Fuse the DecoFoil in place according to the instructions on the package.
Allow the adhesive to cool COMPLETELY before peeling off the DecoFoil.
Baste the batting, backing, and top together with the basting spray.
Using the chalk marking pencil, draw the additional side panels, using the placement of the foil pieces as your guides.
With your walking foot, stitch around the additional side panels to define them. Tie off the threads, and bury them.
Trim the curve along the top with scissors.
Bind, using two-colored binding if you prefer. Make sure to use bias-cut binding along the curve.
If you want a Star Wars inspired quilt hanger, paint your words yellow, then fill in the center with black paint. Use string and pins to hang your quilt.
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Free recipes, giveaways, exclusive, partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Easy DIY Crochet Wreath Ornament
- How To Add Extra Pockets To Any Tote Bag
- Clay Sunflower
- Christmas Sweets Photo Booth Props
- 14 of the Most Stunningly Beautiful Glitter Crafts
- 41 Easy Crochet Baby Blanket Patterns
- 36 Granny Square Crochet Patterns for Beginners
- Granny Square Cloth Crochet Pattern
- Zentangle Cupid of Hearts Adult Coloring Page
- Gelly Roll Hand Lettering Tutorial
- 11 Crochet Shawl Patterns: Crochet Poncho Patterns, Free Easy Crochet Patterns and More
- 12 Knitted Scarf Patterns: Fabulous Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
- 14 Free Crochet Patterns for Babies and Toddlers
- 16 Free Crochet Hat Patterns, Scarves, and Gloves
- 22 Free Crochet Patterns: Afghan Patterns, Crochet Hats, and More
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- 7 Adult Coloring Pages
- 8 Free Apron Sewing Patterns
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- Quick & Easy Decoupage: 12 Fabulous Mod Podge Projects for Your Home