Japanese Afternoon Quilt
A Japanese-inspired assortment of fabrics complete with cherry blossoms and umbrellas combines for a beautiful quilt. This intermediate quilt pattern includes a helpful assembly diagram. Great for hanging on your wall or draping over your couch, this lovely handmade quilt also makes a sweet gift for a loved one. With simple sewing techniques, even the most novice of sewists can create this lovely quilt. This pattern could also be used with any fabric pattern of your choice, making it a great tutorial that you'll find yourself coming back to again and again.
This tutorial shows you exactly how to make a quilt from start to finishing. From the cutting instructions to the detailed template, you are going to love learning how to quilt with this lovely idea. Add a touch of traditional sewing and some Eastern flair to your home with this free quilting pattern. Put it on your bed or hang it on the wall. The gorgeous pattern will shine anywhere.
Making a Quilt: The Japanese Afternoon Quilt
- Fabric A (Scenic) - 3/8 yard
- Fabric B (Script Allover) - 1/2 yard
- Fabric C (Orange Umbrellas Outline) - 1/2 yard
- Fabric D (Green Cherry Blossom Stripe) - 1/8 yard or 1 fat eighth
- Fabric E (Bird Floral) - 3/8 yard or 1 fat quarter
- Fabric F (Blue Floral Texture Weave) - 1/2 yard
- Fabric G (Blue Portrait Frames) - 3/8 yard
- Fabric H (Blue Cherry Blossom Stripe) - 7/8 yard
- Backing (Your Choice) - 23/4 yards
- Fabric A - Cut two 121/2” squares
- Fabric B - Cut four 91/2” squares. Cut four 31/2” squares
- Fabric C - Cut four 61/2” squares. Cut four 31/2” squares. Cut four 31/2” x 121/2” strips
- Fabric D - Cut six 31/2” squares
- Fabric E - Cut two 91/2” squares
- Fabric F - Cut two 121/2” squares. Cut ten 31/2” squares
- Fabric G - Cut two 121/2” squares
- Fabric H - Cut two 31/2” x 241/2” strips. Cut two 31/2” x 181/2” strips. Cut two 31/2” x 151/2” strips. Cut two 31/2” x 121/2” strips. Cut six 21/4” x width of fabric strips. Piece the strips together for the binding.
Approx. Finished Size: 39 x 54
If your craft stash is swimming in fabric scraps, you need to make yourself a quilt! Great for stashbusting, decorating, and gift-giving, a handmade quilt is a wonderful way to show someone how much you care! Lucky for you, we've gathered up 38 of our favorite quilt patterns in one great collection! View "38 Free Quilt Patterns" today to find all kinds of fun and colorful ways to turn your fabric stash into a work of art!
- Join pieces into sections (Fig. 1).
- Join sections to complete quilt top.
- Layer, quilt and bind as desired.
Read NextTemperature Quilt