Indulge your sweet tooth with this colorful cupcake quilt. This project is an excerpt from C&T Publishing Cupcakes! edited by Lynn Koolish which includes 29 other yummy projects for sewers, quilters, knitters, and bakers!
- Block background fabric: 9 squares 6˝ × 6˝ (½ yard)
- Scraps for cupcake appliqués
- Border corner blocks: 4 scraps 3˝ × 3˝
- Sashing fabric: 6 strips 1¼˝ × 6˝, 4 strips 1¼˝ × 18½˝, and 2 strips 1¼˝ × 20˝ (1/4 yard)
- Border fabric: 4 strips 3˝ × 20˝ for borders, additional strips for binding (¼ yard)
- Backing fabric: 26˝ × 26˝ (¾ yard)
- Batting: 26˝ × 26˝
- Decorative trim: 4½ yards (optional)
- Paper-backed fusible web, 17˝ wide: ½ yard
Note: Seam allowances are 1/4˝.
- Iron paper-backed fusible web to the wrong side of the fabric scraps for the cupcake appliqués. Remove the paper backing.
- Click here to download the cupcake patterns. Use the patterns to cut out the top and bottom pieces for 9 cupcakes.
- Reduce the cupcake pattern 50%, and cut out pieces for 4 mini cupcakes for the corner blocks.
- Create 9 blocks by fusing the cupcake pieces to the block backgrounds.
- Sew the 11/4˝ × 6˝ sashing pieces between the blocks to create 3 rows. Press.
- Sew the rows together with the 11/4˝ × 181/2˝ sashing strips. Press.
- Sew a 11/4˝ × 181/2˝ strip on each side. Press.
- Sew the 11/4 ˝ × 20˝ sashing strips on the top and bottom. Press.
- Sew border strips to the top and bottom. Press.
- Fuse the mini cupcakes to the corner blocks. Sew the corner blocks to each end of the remaining border strips. Press.
- Sew the remaining border strips to the sides. Press.
- Layer the backing, batting, and quilt top. Baste.
- Quilt and bind. Embellish with trim and buttons.
Read NextEasy Cross Sawtooth Star Block
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Jun 23, 2018
Oh my! Can it get any cuter than this? I have never done any quilting but this is just begging me to give it a try. My grand daughter is a cup cake person. Every time she stays with me I make cup cakes for her. I need to make this for her.
doodlebug57 957466 8
Feb 04, 2013
Does anyone know what the finished size of this quilt is?
Jan 06, 2013
What a beautiful quilt! I have only made a couple of small quilts so I think this one is do-able for me. I hope my daughter and son-in-law are blessed with a child by the time I finish it!
garrard2009 488008 5
Dec 28, 2012
Very modern look for a baby
Jun 24, 2011
Really neat pattern. I visited my daughter in Oklahoma and she and another friend and their sons went with us on a Family Day out. We went to a CupCake Shop and had desert following lunch. What a great way for me to have memories of that day. One problem. I tried to print out the pattern for the cupcake at 50%, but my computer would only print it at 100%! Any Idea how to correct this? Thanhk you. Janet
Apr 17, 2010
Wall hangings will hang straight if the blocks are cut from fabric using a rotary cutter and a cutting mat Make certain that your seams are unless specified otherwise and that each block meets the measurement for each separate quilt block before assembling the quilt When sewing do not tug or push the fabric and the feed dogs and pressure foot will do the work for you and the quilt will come out straight when you assemble the rows When adding the borders make certain you measure the length for the sides first by measuring through the middle of the quilt to get an accurate length measurement Then after adding the side borders add the top and bottom borders doing a measurement through the middle of the quilt again to obtain the exact measurement you need for the topbottom borders check out the web site www about com - type in…Read More quilt assembly and this should take you to an article about how to assemble the quilt once the top is pieced I hope this helps you get your quilt into square tip-top shape so you will want to hang it with pride
Apr 12, 2010
I have a problem with the blocking of my wall hangings Does anyone have a sure fire way of blocking there hangings.
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Join our community of 5 million crafters!
- Get free craft projects, exclusive partner offers, and more.
- Information Use