Glow in the Dark Candy Bag
Use plastic canvas to stitch a glowing bag for the trick-or-treater on Halloween. Keep in mind these glow-in-the-dark threads are not a safety-rated reflective material for children. Have your child wear reflectors or carry a flashlight.
- Kreinik 1/8" Ribbon in 054F Lemon-Lime (21 yards), 051F Tangerine (21 yards), and 052F Grapefruit (11 yards)
- Kreinik Medium (#16) Braid in 053F Lime (3 yards)
- 3 sheets 7-count black plastic canvas
- 1/2 sheet 7-count clear plastic canvas
- 21.5 yards black plastic canvas yarn
- hot glue gun recommended by the designer for attaching letters and spider
- Graphs [pdf]
- Cut all pieces according to graphs. Black canvas is used for all except the letters, which are cut from clear canvas.
- 2. Using 1/8" Ribbon in 054F and 051F in the rice stitch, create the border on the front, back, and both side pieces.
- Following the graph, create the spider web on the front using 1/8" Ribbon 052F in long stitches.
- Using black yarn, overedge top of front and back. Overedge long sides of handle. Whipstitch front, back and sides together and then sides to bottom.
- Whipstitch handle to front and back where indicated on graph.
- Create the spider's body using black yarn in the Turkey Loop Stitch, making each loop 1/2 of an inch. Use Medium (#16) Braid 053F for the long stitches and backstitched eyes. The spider's legs are made with Medium (#16) Braid 053F used in backstitch down the middle, with black yarn used to overedge the outside of each leg.
- Overedge letters with 1/8" Ribbon (see photo and graph for color guide).
- Using photo and as indicated on graph, glue legs to spider. Glue spider to front of bag as graphed.
- Using photo as guide, glue letters to front of bag.
Read Next29 Free Patterns for Plastic Canvas