Personalized Book Cover
Customize book covers with this fantastic craft from Jacquard Products.
- Jacquard Inkjet Cotton
- Jacquard Dye-Na-Flow
- Jacquard Lumiere
- Jacquard Pearl Ex
- Jacquard Pearl Ex Stamp Pads
- Hard-backed book
- Photos to transfer
- Wonder Under or other fusible bond
- Tacky Glue
- 1/4 yard of cheesecloth
- 1/4 yard of tulle
- Decorative sewing machine threads
- Sheet of tissue paper large enough to cover book
- Scraps of organza, metallic threads and yarns, glitzy fabrics
- Brushes and containers for mixing paints and one for water
- Cut a piece of doubled cheesecloth the size of the front and back of the book, with enough to fold over onto the inside of the covers, both front and back. Using Jacquard’s Dye-Na-Flow, paint the cheesecloth. Hang to dry.
- While this is drying, paint the outside cover of the book using Lumiere Sunset Gold. Set this aside to dry.
- Using the cotton paper-backed sheet and an inkjet printer with a scanner, copy the photos. Peel off the paper backing and iron onto the bonded side of Wonder Under. Set aside.
- When the cheesecloth is dry lay it out on a flat surface and place white tissue paper on top. Next cut snippets of threads, yarns, metallic fabrics and organza and lightly sprinkle these on the surface. On top of these place the tulle.
- Using a sewing machine with decorative threads in the upper threader and any thread in the bobbin, randomly sew around the piece to secure all the snippets.
- Peel off the paper backing from the Wonder Under that is under a photo. Trim the photo to the shape you want. Iron this to the piece of fabric you created above, placing the photo so it will be on the front of the cover of the book.
- Add a few more pieces of threads and fabrics and randomly sew the photo to your collage. Glue this to the surface of your book, folding over the edges to the inside of the covers.
- Pour some Lumiere, color of choice, into a container and add just enough water to make it soupy. Paint the surface of the collage. This just gives it a nice wash. While damp, rub on some Pearl Ex powders. This gives just the right sparkle to the surface. Using the edge of the Pearl Ex Stamp Pads rub along the surface and just a bit on the photo. You now have a beautiful altered cover on a book!
Read NextFree Butterfly Printables