French Wash Painting Technique
Bring a touch of the French countryside home with this lovely wooden shelf from Krylon. Or use this French Wash painting technique on any home decor project.
- Krylon Indoor/Outdoor Paint - Leather Brown (#52501)
- Krylon Indoor/Outdoor Paint - Ivory (#51504)
- Krylon Indoor/Outdoor Paint - Sweet Cream (#53540)
- Wooden shelf or Project of your choice
- Disposable rubber gloves (optional)
- When working with unfinished wood, prepare your surface by sanding smooth and wiping clean with a tack cloth. Apply a primer to seal the surface.
- When working with bare metal, be sure surface is free of rust and oil. Apply a primer to seal the surface.
- When working with plastic, glass or ceramic, lightly sand surface with fine grain sandpaper and wipe clean with a tack cloth. This will help the paint to adhere better to these smooth surfaces. Apply a primer to further improve adhesion.
- Place project on newspaper to protect work area.
- Spray one coat of Leather Brown onto all sides of project. Let dry.
- Spray one very light coat of Ivory on front and sides. Let dry.
- Spray one light coat of Sweet Cream on front and sides. Vary your spray pattern so that some areas have more Sweet Cream and others appear lighter. Let dry thoroughly.
- Sand raised areas and edges of project to reveal brown paint. Wipe clean with tack cloth.
- For added protection of your finished project, spray several light coats of Krylon® Matte Finish or Satin Finish as a final step. For projects that will be used outdoors or near a window, use Krylon® UV-Resistant Matte Finish.
For more project ideas, please visit www.krylon.com/projects.
Read NextBe Creative Wood Wall Art