Delicious Gumdrop Ornament
This Delicious Gumdrop Ornament is a great homemade Christmas ornament to craft with grandchildren. The best part? Once you're done making the ornaments, you can always eat the leftovers!
- Styrofoam calls, you chose the size. I had a few different sizes
- Frosty Snow, From Michael’s Craft Store, large bag cost $2.99
- Martha Stewart Mica Flakes, glitter, also from Michael’s Or a sm. Bottle of Iridescent glitter.
- Green coated wire, in the floral section of Michael’s
- Clear spray sealer, in a can
- A bottle of liquid sealer (gloss). This is just for the glitter and snow to stick.
- Paint brush
- Hot glue gun and Glue
- First take a green wire and insert it through the middle of the ball.
- Make a small loop, big enough to add your bell on, then twist the end tight so you can bring all but a tiny amount of the wire back into the ball. You may want to clip off some of your wire before making the top hanger. Make sure you have enough of the top wire to bend with a loop on top and wrap around the base of the wire, as close as you can to the ball. When you glue all the Gum Drops on the ball you won’t see the base.
- Now it’s time to glue the Gum Drops on the ball. Try to stagger them slightly so they fit very close together.
- After you have gotten all the Gum Drops on the ball, it’s time to paint on the liquid seale. Brush it on heavily.
- Hold the ball by the top wire and sprinkle the glitter on it. Then take some Flakey Snow in your hand and press it to the ball. If you find certain areas tend to be too dry, brush on more sealer. I hung my ornaments outside to help them dry. Then I could spray them with a few layers of clear gloss sealer, letting each layer dry before spraying the next. A good way to do this is take a wire coat hanger and bend both ends up, to make hooks on the ends.
- Place your top loops of the ornaments, one on each side, to dry. When you go out to re-spray, it is so much easier to hold the coat hanger lower to spray the top and then up high to spray the bottoms. You can use these for your own decorations or a good way to make a little Christmas spending money.
Read NextRibbon Angel Ornament