Charming Heart Ornament
Making Christmas Ornaments is one of the best ways you can decorate for the holidays. Create this Charming Heart Ornament from A Spoonful of Sugar, adorned with a button and ribbon for a simple way to dress up your tree.
- Small piece of quilters cotton (I used red, lime, and pink)
- Fusible webbing such as vliesofix
- One button (I used red, white, and lime)
- White felt (I used the polyester variety although they would be nicer made up in wool felt)
- 10 inch length of narrow white ribbon
- Fibrefill stuffing
Trace your shape onto a piece of fusible webbing (I used hearts and stars) and iron it onto the reverse side of your cotton fabric.
Cut out the shape, peel off the paper backing, and iron it onto a piece of felt that is at least 1 inch larger than the outside of the fabric shape. Cut another piece of felt that is the same size for the backing.
Position the top layer of felt with the fabric shape, on top of the backing felt and pin together. Sew around the fabric shape using a machine buttonhole stitch or zigzag stitch, leaving a gap of approx 1 inch. You will be sewing through two layers of felt.
Lightly stuff the shape through gap in between the two layers of felt.
Stitch up the gap in the buttonhole stitching so the stuffing is secure.
Cut out the shape, leaving approx 1/2 inch of felt around the fabric shape, using pinking shears.
Overlap the ends of the ribbon as shown in the picture and secure to the top of the shape. Sew a button over the stitching to secure the ribbon.
- Hang the completed ornament on the tree; or attach to a Christmas present.
Read NextAngel in Frame Ornament