Vintage Snowman Ornament
This textured Vintage Snowman Ornament by Amanda Formaro would be a lovely addition to your wooded Christmas decor. These cute Christmas ornaments would look lovely hanging in the tree or on the mantel. Group them together for a sweet winter display that you can have out all season long. These adorable snowmen also make great gifts for any snowman lover on your list.
- 4-inch Styrofoam ball
- White paint or Magikote
- Snow texture paint
- White glitter paint
- 12-inch dowel
- Floral foam
- Glazing medium or antiquing gel
- Paint: pink, black, light brown
- Vine wrapped wire (available in floral depoartment)
- Insert dowel into Styrofoam ball. Insert the other end of the dowel into the floral foam. This will hold the ball for you while you work.
- Coat the ball in white paint or Magikote and let it dry completely.
- Thin snow texture paint with white glitter paint. Simply squeeze some of the glitter paint into the texture paint and stir. Texture paint is usually quite thick and you will want it to have a more paintable texture.
- Apply the texture paint mixture all over the Styrofoam ball until completely covered. Use your fingers to add more texture by touching and lifting your fingers out of the paint. Allow to dry completely, overnight is best.
- To make the nose, coil some vine wrapped wire around a pencil. The nose will be about 3-inches long. Peel back some of the vine from the end of the nose and insert the wire into the ball. Remove the nose and set aside. The hole will mark where your nose will go.
- Dip a scruffy paintbrush in pink paint and dab off the excess onto a cloth or paper towel. Using a pouncing motion, apply pink to the cheek areas.
- Dip the handle end of a paintbrush into black paint to add eyes and mouth. Let the paint dry completely.
- Mix the light brown paint with the glazing medium according to bottle directions. Apply all over the ball and wipe back excess with a clean cloth. Repeat until you are happy with the results.
- Create a hanger from a scrap of gingham fabric. Insert into the hole from the dowel and glue in place.
- Add a dab of glue to the nose hole and insert the nose.
To make this free craft pattern, we recommend the following materials. They are all available at a great discount at CutRateCrafts.com!
Read NextAngel in Frame Ornament