Easy Guide to Yarn Weight
Yarn is divided by weight, or how many stitches in a gauge of 4 inches. The thinner the yarn, the more stitches in the gauge. The thicker the yarn, the less stitches in the gauge.
(6) Super Bulky/Super Chunky (4-11 stitches for 4 inches)- These yarns yield the fastest projects with the fewest number of stitches.
(5) Bulky/Chunky (12-15 stitches for 4 inches)- These yarns are used for scarves, afghans, and other projects.
(4) Medium Weight/Worsted Weight and Aran (16-20 stitches to 4 inches)- These are the most popular weight yarns for a variety of projects.
(3) Light/DK (21-24 stitches to 4 inches)- These yarns are often used for lighter, summer-weight garments and many baby items.
(2) Fine (23-26 stitches to 4 inches)- These yarns are used for more intricate patterns and for projects such as socks.
(1) Super Fine (27-32 stitches to 4 inches)- These light yarns are used for baby items.
(0) Lace (33-40 stitches to 4 inches)- 10-count crochet thread used for lace projects.
Read NextMidsummer Headband
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Join our community of 5 million crafters!
- Get free craft projects, exclusive partner offers, and more.
- Information Use