Simple Knit Turtleneck
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
This simple knit turtleneck sweater from Bernat Yarns is a staple in every woman's closet. For all skill levels, this is a must-knit free pattern!
- Bernat Super Value (Solids: 197 g/7 oz)
- 3 (3-3-4-4-4) balls
- or (Ombres: 142 g/5 oz)
- 4 (4-4-6-6-6) balls
- or Bernat Berella "4"
- (Solids: 100 g/3.5 oz)
- 5 (6-6-7-8-8) balls
- or (Ombres: 85 g/3 oz)
- 6 (7-7-8-9-10) balls
- Knitting Needles: sizes 4.5 (U.S. 7) and 5 mm (U.S. 8) or size needed to obtain gauge.
- 2 st holders.
28/34 (36/38-40/42-44/46-48/54-56/62) ins
[71/86.5 (91.5/96.5-101.5/106.5-112/117-122/137-142/157.5) cm].
35 (40-44-49-56-65) ins
[89 (101.5-112-124.5-142-165) cm].
18 sts and 24 rows = 4 ins [10 cm] with larger needles in stocking st.
The instructions are written for smallest size. If changes are necessary for larger sizes the instructions will be written thus ( ).
**With smaller needles, cast on 78 (90-98-110-126-146) sts.
1st row: (RS). P2. *K2. P2. Rep from * to end of row.
2nd row: K2. *P2. K2. Rep from * to end of row.
Rep last 2 rows of (K2. P2) ribbing until work from beg measures 3 ins [7.5 cm], ending with a purl row.
Change to larger needles and proceed in stocking st until work from beg measures 12 ins [30.5 cm], ending with a purl row.
Shape armholes: Cast off 3 (4-6-7-9-11) sts beg of next 2 rows. 72 (82-86-96-108-124) sts.
Dec 1 st at each end of needle on next 3 (3-3-5-11-15) rows, then every following alt row to 54 (58-62-64-66-70) sts.**
Cont even until armhole measures 8 (8-8½-9-10-11) ins [20.5 (20.5-21.5-23-25.5-28) cm], ending with a purl row.
Shoulders: Cast off 12 (13-15-15-15-16) sts beg of next 2 rows. Leave rem 30 (32-32-34-36-38) sts on a st holder.
Work from ** to ** as given for Back. Cont even until armhole measures 5 (5-5-5½-6-7) ins [12.5 (12.5-12.5-14-15-18) cm], ending with a purl row.
Neck shaping: Next row: (RS). K18 (19-21-21-21-22) sts. Turn. Leave rem sts on a spare needle.
Dec 1 st at neck edge on next 2 rows, then every following alt row to 12 (13-15-15-15-16) sts. Cont even until Front measures same length as Back to beg of shoulder, ending with a purl row. Cast off.
With RS facing, miss next 18 (20-20-22-24-26) sts. Join yarn to rem sts and knit to end of row. Work as given for left side.
With smaller needles, cast on 38 (38-42-42-42-46) sts.
Work 3 ins [7.5 cm] in (K2. P2) ribbing as given for Back, ending with WS row.
Change to larger needles and proceed in stocking st, inc 1 st at each end of needle, on 5th and every following 6th (6th-6th-4th-4th-2nd) row to 44 (46-64-48-74-52) sts, then following 8th (8th-8th-6th-6th-4th) rows to 58 (60-68-70-78-86) sts.
Cont even until sleeve from beg measures 18 ins [45.5 cm], ending with a purl row.
Shape top: Cast off 2 (2-4-4-6-6) sts beg next 2 rows. 54 (56-60-62-66-74) sts.
Dec 1 st each end of needle on next and every following alt row to 32 (36-44-40-36-44) sts, then every row to 8 sts. Cast off.
FINISHING: Pin garment pieces to measurements and cover with a damp cloth, leaving cloth to dry.
Collar: Sew right shoulder seam. With RS of work facing and smaller needles, pick up and knit 21 (21-21-23-25-25) sts down left Front neck edge. K18 (20-20-22-24-26) from front st holder. Pick up and knit 21 (21-21-23-25-25) sts up right front neck edge. K30 (32-32-34-36-38) from Back st holder. 90 (94-94-102-110-114) sts.
Work in (K2. P2) ribbing, as given for Back for 7 ins [18 cm], ending with WS row. Cast off in rib.
Sew left shoulder and Collar seams, reversing last 4 ins [10 cm] for turn back.
Sew in Sleeves. Sew side and sleeve seams.
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Free recipes, giveaways, exclusive, partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Zentangle Cupid of Hearts Adult Coloring Page
- Gelly Roll Hand Lettering Tutorial
- Scandinavian Knit Stocking Pattern
- Joyful Stenciled Christmas Sign
- Simple Life Tote Bag Tutorial
- Tea Light Snowman and Owl Christmas Ornaments
- Chubby Christmas Crochet Elf Patterns
- Handmade JOY Holiday Trio Ensemble
- Arctic Albatross Adult Coloring Page
- The Art of Quilling Paper Jewelry
- 11 Crochet Shawl Patterns: Crochet Poncho Patterns, Free Easy Crochet Patterns and More
- 12 Knitted Scarf Patterns: Fabulous Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
- 14 Free Crochet Patterns for Babies and Toddlers
- 16 Free Crochet Hat Patterns, Scarves, and Gloves
- 22 Free Crochet Patterns: Afghan Patterns, Crochet Hats, and More
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- 7 Adult Coloring Pages
- 8 Free Apron Sewing Patterns
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- Quick & Easy Decoupage: 12 Fabulous Mod Podge Projects for Your Home