Recycled State Map Magnets
The Recycled State Map Magnets craft is an easy project that could help your kids learn the states and capitals in the US. Even some adults do not know all the states or where they are geographically, so you can learn along with your kids, too. This free craft tutorial shows you how to make state map magnets out of a recycled road map. Refresh your geography knowledge with this eco-friendly craft that you can make with your kids in order to help them learn at home. This charming idea is extremely simple, requiring only a basic knowledge of how to decoupage on wood. Plus, once you have finished this DIY craft, you can display it in your home on your fridge or really anywhere else in your home.
Primary TechniqueGreen Crafting
Find even more chic and trendy craft project ideas to adore in our collection of crafty DIY ideas that we think you should make ASAP. The ideas in 53 DIY Crafts Everyone Should Try are all pretty, easy, fabulous, and unique.
- State shaped puzzle pieces or other simple wooden shapes (squares, circles, etc)
- Outdated road atlas
- Decoupage medium
- 1/2-inch button magnets
- White craft glue
Note: You can achieve a similar feel by simply using circle or square shaped (or even hearts!) wood pieces.
- Locate the city you would like to appear on your magnet. Place your wood shape over the city and trace around it with a pen or pencil.
- When cutting the shape out, cut about 1/8-inch inside the trace line. You want to leave a border of your wooden shape showing. My states were all different colors, which made for a very visually pleasing magnet when finished. Alternatively, you can paint wooden shapes in different colors to achieve the same affect.
- Apply a thin layer of decoupage to the back of the map and press it onto the wooden shape. Once it is positioned properly, allow it to dry for about 40 minutes before applying a coat of decoupage over the top.
- When completely dry, glue a button magnet to the back and let dry completely before using.
Make every day Earth Day with our free printable eBook, Recycled Craft Ideas: Easy Crafts to Make with Recycled Materials. Discover ways to reuse materials such as wood, fabric and even popsicle sticks. Get your copy now.
Read NextFun n' Colorful Glass Canisters