Create an Owl Pumpkin with paint, wood and foam. This will give your easy Halloween craft an unexpected texture and look. This isn't an ordinary pumpkin that you might see on a neighbor's front porch. Instead, it's a cool and unique take on no carve pumpkin ideas. Be different and creative with this owl and add some personal touches. This is also a great project to work on with the kids - the lack of sharp objects makes this a fun and age-appropriate Halloween craft idea. Owls are super trendy, so be sure to get in on the crazy with this cool project.
- DecoArt Americana Acrylics
- DecoArt Americana Acrylics DAO3 - Buttermilk
- DecoArt Americana Acrylics DAO67 - Lamp (Ebony) Black
- DecoArt Americana Acrylics DAO93 - Raw Sienna
- DecoArt Americana Acrylics DA264 - Mustard Seed
- Americana Writers DAW67 - Black
- Americana Spray Sealers DAS12 - Americana Gloss Spray
- Americana Brushes DBF2575-B - Flat 3/4"
- Americana BrushesDBF3008-B - Shader 8
- Unfinished wood pieces: two XXL ovals, Forster Woodsies; two 1 1/4" flower pots; two 1 1/2" circles and two 1" split balls; one 7/8" x 1.26" split egg; two 1 3/4" hearts; two 3" x 4/5" ovals, Laras Crafts L20067; oval and teardrop shapes in 3/4" to 1 3/4" wide range
- Foam plate
- Lo-temp glue gun and glue sticks
- Craft knife
- Two foam pumpkins: 3 1/2" X 5"; 6 1/4" X 8"
- Preparation: Remove all stickers or labels from surfaces.
- Remove stems from two pumpkins and glue smaller pumpkin on top of large pumpkin.
- Glue largest feather ovals and teardrop pieces over bottom edge of each 3" x 4/5" oval; gradually go around wing, overlapping feather pieces off sides. Beginning at bottom area of wing, layer smaller pieces over foundation until wing is completely covered in feathers.
- For ears, refer to photo for placement and glue rim of pots on owl head.
- Use flat brush and Raw Sienna to paint pumpkins, ears, and wings, working paint into crevices of feathers.
- Refer to photo for placement, paint Buttermilk oval on chest with flat brush. Paint two XXL oval pieces Buttermilk for brows. Let dry.
- Use shader brush and Mustard Seed to paint split egg for beak, two 1 1/2" circles for eyes, and two 1 3/4" hearts for feet; let dry.
- Use shader brush and Lamp Black to paint 1" split balls for eye centers; let dry. When dry, glue Lamp Black eye centers over Mustard Seed circles.
- Refer to photo for placement and glue feet, ears, brows, beak, and eyes to owl.
- Referring to photo for placement, glue wing to each side of owl.
- Refer to photo and use Black Americana Writer to paint scalloped lines for feather details on chest, curved lines for bags under eyes, nostrils on beak, and bushy hair on brows.
- Spray owl with Americana Gloss Sealer; let dry.
- Glue fringe to top of head, covering hole where stem was.
Check out this project and more ideas in 17 Pumpkin Patterns: Free Projects for Halloween!