Easy Skeleton Mittens
Create the perfect costume for your child. Add this knit mittens to the skeleton sweater and you have a whole ensemble. Knitting the costume is a great way to save money and be thrifty this Halloween, from Bernat Yarns. In the blink of an eye socket, you will have cool little gloves for your spooky little someone. Join the skeleton dance with these gloves that will tickle everyone's funny bone. Best of all, you won't have to worry about your child's hands getting cold in the chilly October air.
- Bernat® Berella or Bernat® Super Value-1 ball each of Black and White
- Set of four size 4.5 mm (U.S. 7) double-pointed knitting needles or size needed to obtain gauge.
- To fit kid’s palm: 2/4 (6/8) years.
- Width around palm of hand: 5 (6) ins [12.5 (15) cm].
- 19 sts and 25 rows = 4 ins [10 cm] in stocking st.
- Alt = Alternate(ing).
- Beg = Beginning.
- Cont = Continue(ity).
- Dec = Decrease(ing).
- Inc = Increase 1 stitch by knitting into front and back of next stitch.
- K = Knit.
- K2tog = Knit next 2 stitches together.
- P = Purl.
- Psso = Pass slipped stitch over.
- Rem = Remaining.
- Rep = Repeat.
- Rnd(s) = Round(s).
- Sl1 = Slip next stitch knitwise.
- St(s) = Stitch(es).
- Tog = Together.
The instructions are written for smaller size. If changes are necessary for larger size the instructions will be written thus ( ). When only one number is given, it applies to all sizes. For ease in working, circle all numbers pertaining to your size.
- **Cuff: With MC, cast on 28 (32) sts. Divide sts onto 3 needles as follows: 9 (11) sts on 1st and 2nd needles. 10 sts on 3rd needle. Join in rnd.
- Work 10 (12) rnds in (K1. P1) ribbing.
- Knit 8 (10) rnds.**
- Shape thumb gusset: 1st rnd: K14 (17). Inc 1 st in each of next 2 sts. Knit to end of rnd.
- 2nd and alt rnds: Knit.
- 3rd rnd: K14 (17). Inc 1 st in next st. K2. Inc 1 st in next st. Knit to end of rnd.
- 5th rnd: K14 (17). Inc 1 st in next st. K4. Inc 1 st in next st. Knit to end of rnd.
- ***Inc 2 sts for thumb gusset, as before on next rnd. 36 (40) sts.
- Next rnd: K14 (17). Slip next 10 sts onto a safety pin. Cast on 2 sts. Knit to end of rnd. 28 (32) sts.
- Cont even in rnds until work from top of ribbing measures 5 (6) ins [12.5 (15) cm].
- Shape top: 1st rnd: K1. Sl1. K1. psso. K8 (10). K2tog. K2. Sl1. K1. psso. Knit to last 3 sts. K2tog. K1.
- 2nd and alt rnds: Knit.
- 3rd rnd: K1. Sl1. K1. psso. K6 (8). K2tog. K2. Sl1. K1. psso. Knit to last 3 sts. K2tog. K1.
- 5th rnd: K1. Sl1. K1. psso. K4 (6). K2tog. K2. Sl1. K1. psso. Knit to last 3 sts. K2tog. K1.
- Cont in same manner, dec 4 sts as before on next and every following alt rnd to 16 sts. Divide sts onto 2 needles. Graft 2 groups of 8 sts tog.
- Make thumb:With MC, K10 from safety pin. Pick up and knit 2 sts at base of thumb. Join in rnd. 12 sts.
- Divide sts evenly onto 3 needles. (4 sts on each needle).
- Knit in rnds for 1¼ (1¾) ins [3 (4.5) cm].
- Next rnd: *K2tog. Rep from * around. Break yarn. Thread end through rem 6 sts. Draw up and fasten securely.***
- Work from ** to ** as given for Right Mitten.
- Shape thumb gusset: 1st rnd: K12 (13). Inc 1 st in each of next 2 sts. Knit to end of rnd.
- 2nd and alt rnds: Purl.
- 3rd rnd: K12 (13). Inc 1 st in next st. K2. Inc 1 st in next st. Knit to end of rnd.
- 5th rnd: K12 (13). Inc 1 st in next st. K4. Inc 1 st in next st. Knit to end of rnd.
- Work from *** to *** as given for Right Mitten.
- With A, embroider bones, using stem stitch and following Chart.
Don't forget to check out our other 31 Halloween Craft Projects. With this collection of Halloween craft ideas, you can find a great Halloween craft project for every day of October.
Read NextEasy Tee Shirt Superhero Capes