Drunken Farmer Halloween Scarecrow
Add a fun DIY Halloween prop with the Drunken Farmer Halloween Scarecrow. Grab a burlap sack recycle an old plaid shirt and pair of jeans, and you're ready to make your farmer. When you're done, prop him up in a corner on your porch or side of your house, add a few empty beer bottles, and you're ready to spook some trick-or-treaters. Don't forget his straw hat and bandana, because a farmer just isn't a farmer without his hat and bandana.
- Coffee burlap sac – get it for FREE from your local coffee roaster. Or you can use a flour sac. Worse comes to worst, you can sew the bottom of the shirt and just stuff it.
- Man’s Jeans or overalls
- Plaid shirt
- Straw Hat
- Stuffing material for the upper body – I used a saved stuffing from an old blanket. I save everything.
- Magazine or old newspaper for stuffing the legs
- Empty beer bottles or glass soda bottles
You will need old jeans and shirt that you are willing to part with. Older and more frayed, the better. I had an old blanket that I was throwing out so I took out the stuffing, thinking, I could use that “some day” and voilà! I was right. It was perfect for stuffing the body. Again, if you don’t have a burlap sac, you can use any sac or just stuff the shirt. It’s just nice to have a sac so you can save it easily for next year…as I have for this year.
Stuff the legs with old newspaper or stiff magazine pages. Stuff it loosely since it’ll be sitting on the floor. Don’t need to stuff it all the way. Add a straw hat on the top of the shirt. Tilt it downward so the stuffed chest area doesn’t show. Cover the chest area with a bandana and now it really looks like he’s just passed out with his head tilted downward.
- There he is. Drunk and content, passed out cold on my front porch! If you don’t want him lying around on your porch, you can prop him up on a chair. Or place him on your porch furniture with the arm spread out to the side. I have a small porch and I don’t have a porch furniture so I just let him hang out, on the floor, in the corner, with the cobwebs, bugs, spiders…ok, those are just added graphics. My porch is not that infested with bugs. Eeeek….