DIY Spellbook Halloween Craft
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
From the blogger: "I’ve been working on Halloween and fall decor, and this spooky and fun DIY spellbook is a must for Halloween. This project is so dang easy and only cost me a couple of bucks. Who doesn’t love DIYs that don’t break the bank? You know I am all about saving money when it comes to crafts and home decor! If you are a fan of creepy Halloween decor or Hocus Pocus, come make your own fun spellbook."
Time to CompleteWeekend project
Project TypeMake a Project
- Vintage book
- Black acrylic paint
- Metallic acrylic paint
- Skull printable
- Mod podge
- Paint brush
- Paper towel
To first start out, you will want to find an old book. I found mine at a garage sale. However, I’ve also bought tons at the thrift store. These books usually cost less than a dollar, and they are actually super pretty to display in your home.
This is a large spider I found at Dollar Tree. It’s velvet and brown. I wanted it to match the book, so I painted it black. I used acrylic paint. Know that you will have to use a couple of coats of paint because the brown peeks through.
I’ve seen this technique used on Pinterest before to bring texture to items. You rip up paper towels and mod podge them all over the book or whatever item you are using. They will take some time to dry. I let mine dry overnight to make sure it was completely ready for paint.
Next, I hot glued a spider web in the corner. It definitely wasn’t perfect, but this didn’t bother me because I painted over it later.
You can see the spider web coming together.
Just so you know, the hot glue will only take a minute to dry. Once it has dried, you can start painting the whole book black. It will take at least two layers of acrylic paint to fully cover the book.
Once the black paint is dry, you can hot glue on your black spider. You may have to go back and touch up some areas that didn’t get fully covered in paint.
Then, once I painted the entire book black and hot glued on my spider, I brought out my metallic acrylic paint. This paint is awesome to use as an accent color. There wasn’t really any pattern to painting on the metallic paint. I just painted over random spots until it created the desired look I wanted.
You will want to mod podge the free printable skull on the top of the book.
Here it is, guys! I love the way it turned out. What a fun Halloween DIY it was.
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Project of the Day
Easy DIY Christmas crafts, like this Crafty Coca Cola Advent Calendar from I Love to Create, are great holiday projects! Made from an… Continue reading: "Crafty Coca Cola Advent Calendar"
- DIY Halloween Polka Pumpkins
- You've Been Booed Free Printable
- Just Beautiful Peacock Halloween Costume DIY
- Ghost Centerpiece Craft with Video
- 10 Eco Friendly Halloween Crafts
- No Sew Spider Costume
- Old Book Pages Pumpkin
- Dollar Store Floral Wire Pumpkins
- Uncanny Pumpkin Treat Holders
- Rustic DIY Pumpkins
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Super Warm Winter Beanie
- How To Make An Origami Paper Purse?
- Crochet Snowman In Love
- Crochet Pizza Heart
- Crochet Halloween Tooth Pumpkin
- How To Make An Origami Mini Notebook
- How To Make A Jumping Paper Frog
- DIY Color Experiment
- Day Of The Dead Sugar Skull Card
- Altered Altoid Tins For Gift Giving
- 11 Crochet Shawl Patterns: Crochet Poncho Patterns, Free Easy Crochet Patterns and More
- 12 Knitted Scarf Patterns: Fabulous Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
- 14 Free Crochet Patterns for Babies and Toddlers
- 16 Free Crochet Hat Patterns, Scarves, and Gloves
- 22 Free Crochet Patterns: Afghan Patterns, Crochet Hats, and More
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- 7 Adult Coloring Pages
- 8 Free Apron Sewing Patterns
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- Quick & Easy Decoupage: 12 Fabulous Mod Podge Projects for Your Home