Recycled Treat Containers
Use left-over food containers and supplies to craft these charming Recycled Treat Containers. These will make the perfect storage place for little Sparky's puppy treats.
- Coffee or oatmeal containers (Choose a container with a re-sealable lid.)
- Various sizes plastic bottle caps (Eyes are from milk cartons, knobs and nose from spice jars, vitamins and juice bottles.)
- Brightly colored cereal box
- Earth Safe Finishes (www.earthsafefinishes.com)
- Metal bottle caps
- Gel Medium
- Interior Varnish in Satin
- Generation Green Acrylic Paint in Carnation, Glacier and Black Storm
- Tools- paintbrush, pencil with new eraser, scissors
- Gather supplies and remove paper cover from container.
- To make the knob on top of the container and nose sturdier; turn those caps upside down and glue a smaller cap inside with gel medium.
- Paint the kitten nose Carnation and the dog nose Black Storm.
- Paint the inside of the eye caps using Black Storm. Use the end of a pencil eraser to make round eyes for dog and oblong ones for cat. Allow the black paint to dry then dot the tops of the eyes with Glacier using the wood end of a paintbrush or a toothpick.
- Glue with gel medium eye caps and nose caps to side of container. (Refer to the project photograph for placement.)
- Glue the knob cap to the center of the lid with gel medium. Use a small paintbrush and Black Storm to paint letters on lid. (Here is a great place to personalize the treat container.) Dips the eraser end of a pencil into black paint then dot the ends of each letter. Use a pencil eraser to make paw prints on the knob or anywhere on the container you like.
- Paint black muzzle line and eyebrows on dog. Paint muzzle line and whiskers on cat. Use either a paintbrush or cut a 2” x 1” piece from cereal box, dip end into paint then press onto container.
- Cut ears from cereal box. (Adjust ear pattern to fit your container. Sample container is 9 1/4” high.) Add inner ear area on cat with Carnation paint. Glue ears to container.
- Cut 1”-1 ½” strips from cereal box for collar. Glue along bottom edge of container. Glue metal bottle cap to collar.
- All gel medium glue to dry then brush a coat of varnish over all surface to protect them from smudges.
Read NextGold DIY Mason Jar Flower Vase
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Feb 03, 2014
Pretty cool. Recycling is one of the many activities individuals are asked to do in order to go green, and some states will even pay for it. Unfortunately, that means scam artists will find a way to scam the system, such as when it comes to California, where recycling fraud is costing millions of dollars per year. Get more data at Match Financial!
Dec 09, 2013
How adorable it is. Looks like creativity needed here. Recycling is good for the earth and great for industry, as it means materials can be used over and over again. However, those states which encourage recycling through container deposit redemptions, such as a dime for each beer bottle one turns in, are getting punished for their good deeds. Numerous states, such as California and Michigan, are losing millions annually to recycling fraud. For more information, click here.
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Join our community of 5 million crafters!
- Get free craft projects, exclusive partner offers, and more.
- Information Use