Old Jeans Bracelet
Recycle old blue jeans into a funky beaded bracelet with this easy craft idea from Amanda Formaro. The Old Jeans Bracelet is a simple way of recycling clothing, and it costs virtually nothing! Make the matching Rainbow Jeans Ring too!
- Leg of old blue jeans, any size
- Sewing needle
- Barrel clasp
- 5mm stretchable bead & jewelry cord
- Colorful seed beads
- Hot glue gun
- You will need the actual seam of the blue jeans for this bracelet. Trim to about 1/4" along both sides of the seam. Cut seam to fit wrist, keep it a little loose, like a bangle and remember to account for the clasp.
- Pull threads along the edges of the seam to fray the denim.
- Thread a sewing needle with jewelry cord. From the back of the denim, run the needle in and up through the center where your clasp will go. Run the needle and cord through the loop in the clasp and sew several times, tie off. Secure clasp with a little hot glue. Repeat for the other end of the denim.
- Thread needle through the back of the denim and pull taught. Thread 6-8 seed beads onto the needle and slide down the jewelry cord until the touch the denim. Lay the cord and beads down on the denim to gauge where to insert the needle and run the cord through to the back. Run in back up through to the front side about half an inch from where the last set ended, repeat the beading as in the first set. Continue this until you have as many beads as you like. Tie off and secure end with a little hot glue.
Hint: The easiest way to thread the beads onto the needle is to poke the needle into the bead and lift. Some beads may be too small to fit over the eye of the needle as seeds beads do vary slightly in size.