How to Recycle a Soda Bottle into a Pin Cushion
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
"Unfortunately, discarded plastic soda bottles usually end up as litter, in landfills and sadly in seas. And there are lots of companies trying to do their best to recycle plastics into additional useful products. I'm all for recycling plastics into fun craft ideas! It's amazing what can be made from discarded soda bottles! And making a pin cushion from a soda bottle was shared with me by my sister-in-law several years - a craft she picked up while visiting her hometown in Brazil."
Primary TechniqueGreen Crafting
- 2 liter empty soda bottle
- Craft knife/scissors/black marker
- Nail polish remover (acetone)/cotton balls
- 5/8" trim/bias tape
- Fabric scraps (2-12" x 12")
- Needle and thread
- Quick grab and dry glue
- Circle templates
Wash bottle with dish detergent and let dry.
Cut soda bottle in half just below the label.
Draw a pattern outlining a chair using a black marker.
Cut out the pattern and use a cotton ball dampen with nail polish remover.
Glue on trim or bias tape around the edges using a quick grab & dry glue.
Trace the outline of the circle templates on the wrong side of the fabric and cut out.
Note: click image for larger version.
Starting with the larger circle, make a running stitch around the folded inside edges of the fabric going around the entire circle, pulling the thread to gather the fabric into a circle. Make a few extra stitches where the threads meet, and knot to secure.
Stuff filling into the fabric circle as tight as possible, making it fluffy and even like a pouf. Secure gathers with a few more stitches, cutting off excess thread.
Cut a circle of fabric, folding edges under and glue in place over the cushion opening to complete the bottom cushion.
Repeat the same steps using the next size circle to make the smaller back cushion.
Make three yo yo's by sewing a running stitch along the folded edge around the smaller circles and gently pull the thread to gather the fabric toward the center. Secure by stitching close to gathers and knot. Had press yo yo's flat with gathers in center.
With needle and thread, attach top cushion to plastic back through center of yo yo, making a recess in front center of cushion - then sewing back and forth several times and knotting to secure.
Fold over side arm flaps sewing back and forth several times securing through the center of the yo yo, and knotting in place.
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
- Recycled Denim Feather Wall Hanging
- Gorgeous Upcycled Denim Flowers
- 62 Toilet Paper Roll Crafts
- Recycled Can Garden Flowers
- Plastic Crafting: 25 Ways to Reuse Plastic
- Magical DIY Fairy Jar Night Light
- 1000+ Recycled Crafts
- 16+ Aluminum Foil Crafts
- Diy Disinfecting Wipes
- Egg Shell Crafts: 19 Beautiful Ideas I Never Expected!
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- How To Make A Kid's Apron From A Man's Shirt Sleeve
- Skylar Ribbed Singlet
- Plastic Bottle Planter
- Mermaid Slime
- No Sew Diy Mask - Duct Tape To The Rescue
- Super Easy Carrot Bunting
- Crochet Easter Bunny Egg Garland
- Ways To Disinfect Clothes & Fight The Virus
- Unisex Scrubs Pants Free Pattern
- Unmasking Diy Mask Material - Free Pattern
- 11 Crochet Shawl Patterns: Crochet Poncho Patterns, Free Easy Crochet Patterns and More
- 12 Knitted Scarf Patterns: Fabulous Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
- 14 Free Crochet Patterns for Babies and Toddlers
- 16 Free Crochet Hat Patterns, Scarves, and Gloves
- 22 Free Crochet Patterns: Afghan Patterns, Crochet Hats, and More
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- 7 Adult Coloring Pages
- 8 Free Apron Sewing Patterns
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- Quick & Easy Decoupage: 12 Fabulous Mod Podge Projects for Your Home