Clay Pot Garden Angel
Use small clay pots to create a cheerful angel for your garden. Matching plant markers create a whimsical feel in any garden.
- Aleene’s Super Thick Tacky Glue
- Paintbrushes: ½” flat, fine tip
- Green moss
- Clay pots: 1 (4” diameter), 1 (3-1/4” diameter), 1 (2-3/4” diameter), 2 (1-3/4” diameter), 2 (1-1/2” diameter)
- 4 (1” x 1-1/2”) pieces of Styrofoam
- 2 wooden clothespins (the old-fashioned typewith round tips)
- Drill with 1/8” bit
- 2” diameter wooden ball
- Acrylic paint: blush, black, medium fuchsia, gold, soft sage, assorted colors
- Wood shavings
- Wooden hearts: 1(6”), 1 (2-1/2”)
- Florist’s wire
- Small dried or silk flowers
- Florist tape
For 1 plant poke:
- 1 wooden craft stick
- 1 (2”) wooden heart
- Acrylic paint: dusty sage, soft sage, assorted colors
Instructions (for angel):
- To form body, apply glue around edge at bottom of 4” pot. Place 3-1/4” pot on top of 4” pot and press into glue. In same manner, glue 2-3/4” pot on top of 3-1/4” pot. Let dry. For each arm, glue 1 piece of Styrofoam inside 1 (1-3/4”) pot. Apply glue to bottom of 1 (1-1/2”) pot. Press 1-3/4” pot with Styrofoam onto glue-covered 1-1/2” pot (see Arm Diagram). Let dry. Referring to photo, glue 1 arm to each side of body. Let dry.
- Cut off bottom of each clothespin to leave 2” length. Drill 1 hole from side to side through rounded end of each clothespin. Paint clothespins and wooden ball blush. Let dry. With rounded end extending beyond pot, glue 1 clothespin inside each 1-1/2” pot for hand. Let dry. Glue ball in place on body for head. Glue wood shavings to top of head for hair. Paint facial features on face with black and medium fuchsia. Let dry. Tie raffia in bow. Glue bow in place at neck. Let dry.
- Paint 6” heart gold. Let dry. Glue 1 Styrofoam piece to heart about 1-1/4” from top. Glue remaining Styrofoam piece to heart about 1” below. Let dry. Apply glue to surface of each foam piece. Referring to Wings Diagram, glue wings to back of angel. Let dry.
- Drill 1 hole from front to back through each side of 2-1/2” heart. Paint heart soft sage. Let dry. Referring to photo, paint “Garden Angel” and flowers on heart as desired. Let dry. Referring to photo, center and glue 2-1/2” heart to angel at waist. Let dry.
- Referring to photo, glue moss and flowers to angel as desired. Thread florist’s wire through holes in 2-1/2” heart, leaving tails of equal length on each side of heart. Wrap wire tails around pencil to coil. Thread 1 end of wire through hole in each clothespin hand.
- For halo, cut 1 (4”) length of florist’s wire. Bend wire to form semicircle. Using florist tape, attach flowers to wire. Place halo on head.
Instructions for 1 plant poke:
- Cut 1 (4-1/2” length from craft stick, shaping cut end to a point. Paint stick dusty sage and heart soft sage. Let dry. Paint desired word and design on heart (see photo) Let dry. Glue rounded end of craft stick to back of heart. Let dry.
- Heidi’s Designer Tip: Clay pots can be a little challenging to glue so for best hold, be sure that you use a generous amount of glue in each step and let your glue dry completely.
Read NextVintage Inspired Fall Market Signs