Fourth of July Layered Soap
Show your friends how much your country means to you by making Fourth of July Layered Soap from Bramble Berry. Once you've learned how to make soap, get creative and change the colors to create more glittery possibilities.
- Clear Melt and Pour
- White Melt and Pour
- Non-Bleeding Red Liquid Color
- Non-Bleeding Blue Liquid Color
- Iridescent Glitter
- Before starting the layers, make the sparkle corridors by adding a dense amount of sparkle (1 heaping teaspoon to 8 ounces of clear soap) to melted clear soap. Keep stirring until the glitter suspends in the soap. The soap will be thick and soupy and almost ready to set up before the glitter will evenly suspend. Pour into a mold long enough to span the entire length of your loaf.
- The first layer is made with clear soap and non-bleeding red. It's important to use clear soap to get a true red. If you use white soap, the color will end up pink. Hint: if you use a yellowing fragrance (such as orange essential oil), your red color may end up orange. Choose your fragrance wisely.
- Pour the first layer. Allow it to harden with a thick skin. Depending on how hot you poured the soap, this may take 5 to 15 minutes. While you're waiting, cut the glitter soap into long strips.
- Spritz rubbing alcohol onto the first layer to help layer adhesion. Pour the second layer of white soap. Because you will be embedding the glitter strips in the soap, make sure that the soap is a cool temperature. If it is too hot, the surrounding soap will melt the glitter strips giving a different effect than wanted. Once the white layer is poured, add the glitter strips to the soap. Make sure that you are fragrancing each layer. I normally forget to fragrance at least one layer.
- Wait for this layer to harden with a thick skin, enough to sustain another layer of soap. Prepare the blue soap. To ensure crisp, clean lines, make sure that your blue color is a non-bleeding color. Spritz the white soap with isopropyl alchol. Pour the blue layer.
- Wait for the entire soap to harden fully. Cut with a sharp knife or a crinkle cutter. Oooh, ahhh and celebrate President's Day with your patriotic soap.
Read NextPicnic Party Mason Jars