American Picnic Basket
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
A simple wood picnic basket transforms into a pretty and patriotic carrier with this painting project. This basket is perfect for bringing snacks to 4th of July fireworks.
DecoArt Products Required
- DAO1 - Snow (Titanium) White
- DAO3 - Buttermilk
- DAO8 - Yellow Ochre
- DAO11 - Lemon Yellow (transparent)
- DAO18 - Country Red
- DAO52 - Avocado
- DAO56 - Olive Green
- DAO63 - Burnt Sienna
- DAO67 - Lamp (Ebony) Black
- DAO80 - Russet
- DA140 - Red Violet
- DA163 - Honey Brown
- DA166 - Deep Midnight Blue
- DA215 - Peony Pink
- DA233 - Wild Orchid
- DA255 - Bahama Blue
- DA257 - Bleached Sand
- DA274 - Carousel Pink
- DA276 - Razzle Berry
- DA277 - Spa Blue
Americana Drying Time Extender
- DAS1 - Brush 'n Blend Extender
Americana Spray Sealers
- DAS13 - Americana Matte Spray
- 1" flat brush
- 12 flat brush
- 6 flat brush
- 10/0 liner brush
- Water container
- Palette or plastic plate
- Paper towels
- Tracing & transfer paper
- 1" painter's tape
- Vintage picnic basket, stained
NOTE: Allow to dry between steps.
- Use 1" flat to basecoat left section of basket top Deep Midnight Blue and right side Buttermilk.
- Use painter's tape to mask off stripes. Paint open areas Country Red. Remove tape.
- Load 12 flat with Drying Time Extender. Pick up Burnt Sienna on one corner of brush. Shade edges of Buttermilk stripes.
- Trace and transfer designs.
- Paint stars Yellow Ochre and buttons Country Red.
- Paint ants, Russet; banner, Bleached Sand; cupcake base, Spa Blue; frosting, Peony Pink; cherry, Country Red; olive, Olive Green; cheese cube, Yellow Ochre; grape, Red Violet; toothpick and small basket, Honey Brown; watermelon slice, Razzle Berry and Olive Green. Paint ant hands and feet assorted colors as desired.
- For stars/buttons: Use 6 flat brush and Russet to shade inside button recess. Highlight edges with brush mix of Yellow Ochre and Country Red. Add small comma stroke highlights of Snow White. Use brush handle end and Deep Midnight Blue to place two dots in button centers. Use liner brush and Snow White to add thread. Use brush handle end and Lemon Yellow to dot stars. Use liner brush and Deep Midnight Blue to paint stitches.
- For ants: Use 12 flat brush to highlight ant bodies with Wild Orchid. Use liner brush and Lamp Black to add eyes, mouths, legs and antennae. Add Snow White to eyes. Outline ants with Deep Midnight Blue.
- For cupcake: Use 12 flat brush to shade under frosting with Bahama Blue. Use liner brush and Bahama Blue to stripe base. Shade frosting with Razzle Berry and highlight with Carousel Pink. Highlight cherry with Peony Pink. Add stroke highlight with Snow White. Use liner brush to paint sprinkles multiple colors. Use liner brush and Deep Midnight Blue to outline and add detail on base.
- For olive: Shade olive with Avocado. Outline with Deep Midnight Blue.
- For toothpick: Shade grape with brush mix of Deep Midnight Blue and Red Violet. Add comma highlight with Peony Pink. Outline grape, cheese, and toothpick with Deep Midnight Blue.
- For basket: Paint fruit with Razzle Berry and Olive Green. Outline and add details with Deep Midnight Blue.
- For watermelon: Add Snow White stripe; add Deep Midnight Blue seeds and outline.
- Trace and transfer lettering on banner. Use liner brush and Deep Midnight Blue for lettering. Outline banner and paint posts with liner brush and Lamp Black. Add Bahama Blue flags.
- Mist lightly with Americana Matte Spray to seal. Repeat allowing to dry between coats.
For more great 4th of July craft ideas, download our free 4th of July eBook.
For other fantastic picnic essentials, be sure to check out our collection of 7 Picnic Accessories and Essentials!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive, partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
American Flag Afghan
Patriotic Water Bottle Bracelet
48 Fun 4th of July Decorating Ideas
Patriotic Starburst Bouquet
"4th of July Crafts and Recipes" eBook
American Flag Crochet Cushions
Repurposed Patriotic Luminaries
American Flag Plate
"4th of July Crafts: Blogger Edition 2010" eBook
Painted 4th of July Wine Glasses
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Pot O' Gold Clay Pot Craft
- Flower Puppy Coloring Page
- Spirograph Mandala Coloring Page
- Abundance of Pineapples Adult Coloring Page
- Butterfly Tango Adult Coloring Page
- Toucan Coloring Page
- Graceful Flamingo Adult Coloring Page
- Indianapolis Canal Walk Coloring Page
- Plum Easy Patterns
- 32 Egg Carton Crafts
- 11 Crochet Shawl Patterns: Crochet Poncho Patterns, Free Easy Crochet Patterns and More
- 12 Knitted Scarf Patterns: Fabulous Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
- 14 Free Crochet Patterns for Babies and Toddlers
- 16 Free Crochet Hat Patterns, Scarves, and Gloves
- 22 Free Crochet Patterns: Afghan Patterns, Crochet Hats, and More
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- 7 Adult Coloring Pages
- 8 Free Apron Sewing Patterns
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- Quick & Easy Decoupage: 12 Fabulous Mod Podge Projects for Your Home