American Flag Afghan
This easy crochet afghan pattern from Lion Brand Yarn features red and white stripes in chunky Homespun yarn. Crochet stars are affixed to the blue background after the afghan is complete. You'll have a blast making the little stars for this patriotic afghan. It's great to show off your American pride and a perfect blanket to bring with you to the 4th of July fireworks.
- 4 balls Homespun® Yarn in Antique (A)
- 3 balls Homespun® Yarn in Deco (B)
- 2 balls Homespun® Yarn in Colonial (C)
- 1 ball Wool-Ease® Yarn in Fisherman
- K-10.5 and H-8 crochet hooks
Gauge: 10 sts + 10 rows = 4" (10 cm) in single crochet with K hook; 10 sts + 6.5 rows = 4" (10 cm) in double crochet with K hook. BE SURE TO CHECK YOUR GAUGE. When you match the gauge in a pattern, your project will be the size specified in the pattern and the materials specified in the pattern will be sufficient. If it takes you fewer stitches and rows to make a 4 in. [10 cm] square, try using a smaller size hook or needles; if more stitches and rows, try a larger size hook or needles.
Almost all of (A) and (B) are used. Break ends closely so that additional skeins are not required.
With larger hook and A, ch 151.
Row 1 (RS) Dc into 3rd ch from hook and each ch across - 150 dc (including t-ch).
Row 2 (WS) Ch 2, turn. Dc in next dc and in each st to end, dc in top of beg ch.
Rows 3-6 Rep Row 2. At end of Row 6, finish last st with B and drop A.
Rows 7-1 2 With B, Rep Row 2. At end of Row 12, finish last st with A and drop B. Continue alternating 6 rows A; 6 rows B until there are 6 stripes, ending with 3rd B stripe.
- Begin FIELD FOR STARS in C as follows With A, ch 2. turn. Work 89 dc more (90 sts); finish last st with C and work 1 dc in each of next 59 de, 1 dc in top of t-ch. Continue working 60 sts in C and , alternating the rem 90 sts in A and B stripes as established. When 13 stripes have been completed, fasten off.
Stars (Make 32)
Ch 3, slip st to form ring.
Rnd 1 Ch 1, work 5 sc in ring, slip st to beg ch.
Rnd 2 Ch 1, work 3 sc in each sc, slip st to beg ch - 15 sc.
Rnd 3 *Sc in first sc, ch 5, slip st in 2nd ch from hook, sc in next ch, hdc in next ch, dc in last ch, skip 2 sc; rep from * around, end with slip st to first sc. Fasten off.
- Position the stars on the field and sew them into place.
Read Next3D Felt Stars