How to Make a Desk Organizer Gift for Dad
Learn how to build a desk organizer in just a few easy steps. You can help Dad get organized with a mail station and pen and business card holders. This is a quick project that makes a great Father's Day gift Dad will love.
- STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam:
- 3" Ball
- 12" x 6" x 1" Block
- Acrylic paint, color of choice
- Recycled compact discs, three or four
- Recycled marker cap
- Coordinating print fabric "fat quarter" (from quilting department)
- Serrated knife
- Paintbrushes: medium flat; stiff-bristled round
- Disposable palette
- Water basin
- Paper towels
- Low-temp glue gun and glue sticks
- White craft glue, thick
- Candle stub or paraffin
- Wax serrated knife with candle stub or paraffin; cut foam ball in half. Use knife to cut 9" x 5" x 1" base from foam block.
- Use pencil to poke hole into center top of one half-ball. Glue and press marker cap into hole to create pen holder. Glue holder to one end of foam base.
- For card holder, carefully cut slit across center top of remaining half-ball; do not cut completely through foam. Glue holder to opposite end of base as shown; slit should be parallel to front of organizer. Note: Card holder works for photos, too.
- To make inserting discs easier, first cut 3/8"-deep, equally-spaced parallel grooves into top of foam base between half-ball holders. Cut straight down, not at an angle.
- Use stiff brush to scrub paint onto top of foam base; let dry. Cut two 1-1/2" x 15" strips from fabric. Glue fabric strips around edge of base, overlapping as needed. Clip corners and fold excess fabric to bottom; glue to secure.
- Cut three or four 5-1/2" squares from fabric. For each CD, spread thin layer of white glue over label side and smooth a fabric square over glue; let dry and trim excess.
- Apply thin line of white glue along each CD slit cut in Step 4 and press discs 1/2" to 3/4" deep into slit.
- Insert pen and photo into holders.
Note: Adults only should handle the serrated knife.
®™ Trademark of The Dow Chemical Company ("Dow") or an affiliated company of Dow. For more project ideas, please see styrofoamstyle.com.
Read NextFramed Tie Wall Art