Reuse your old socks. Don't throw them away. Learn how to create a cute Easter decoration using those socks. A sock bunny will definitely attract the kids.
- STYROFOAM* Brand Products:
- 3" and 4" eggs, one each
- White stiff felt, 6" x 3"
- White pom poms: 1/2", two; 1/4" and 1", one each
- Pink socks, one pair
- Spring print cotton fabric, 18" x 2" strip
- Acrylic paints: boysenberry pink, lamp black
- No. 6 shader paintbrush
- 3/16" wooden dowel, 4" length
- Plastic-coated wire: 24-gauge marshmallow white, 9" length; bubble gum pink, 18" length
- Craft wire, 24"
- Serrated knife
- Candle stub or paraffin
- Glues: fabric glue, white craft
- Fine-line black permanent marking pen
- Wire cutters
- Paper towels
- Disposable palette
- Wax serrated knife with a candle stub or paraffin. Use knife to cut 1/4" from bottom of 4" ball so it will stand upright.
- Applying glue to one-half of wooden dowel; insert into 3" ball, letting unglued portion protrude. Apply glue to remainder of dowel and then insert into 4" foam ball. Squeeze additional glue between balls to strengthen bond, forming bunny's head and body. Let dry.
- Cut top off each sock and discard cuff section. Slide bunny, 4" ball first, into sock until flush with toe. Do not tie off end.
- Cut remaining sock in half lengthwise for bunny's ears. Fold each ear in half lengthwise with right sides together. Glue cut edges together, leaving open at one end. Turn. Drybrush along center front of each ear with boysenberry pink. Let dry.
- Cut two 12" lengths of craft wire and bend each in half. Insert a wire into each ear and then poke ends in center top of foam head. Spot glue, if necessary. Bend wires inside ears to shape as desired.
- Cut three 6" lengths of pink wire. Gather sock at top of head around base of ears and wrap with wire to secure. Curl ends of wires around a paintbrush handle.
- Paint 1/4" pom pom boysenberry pink and let dry. Glue two 1/2" white pom poms side by side to center of face with pink pom pom at center top for a nose.
- Using photo as a guide, drybrush cheeks on each side of white pom poms with boysenberry pink. Dip paintbrush handle in lamp black to dot two eyes close together. Let dry. Dot a white highlight on each eye with a toothpick.
- Cut six 1-1/2" lengths of white wire. Shape soft ripples in wires; glue three on each side of white pom poms for whiskers.
- Draw tiny eyebrows and a mouth with black marking pen.
- Tie fabric strip in a bow around bunny's neck.
- Using patterns, cut feet from white stiff felt. Glue feet to bottom of body with toes at front.
- Glue 1" pom pom to bottom back of bunny for a tail.
®™ Trademark of The Dow Chemical Company ("Dow") or an affiliated company of Dow. For more project ideas, please see styrofoamstyle.com.
Read Next5-Minute Crochet Easter Bunny