Colorful Sock Chicks
Easy Easter crafts are a great way to get the family involved in a fun holiday. Use plastic Easter eggs and fun socks to create your own Colorful Sock Chicks from Heidi Borchers. Make a whole family and add them to a basket for a delightful Easter decor craft.
- Aleene’s Flexible Stretchable Fabric Glue
- Aleene’s Original Tacky Glue
- Plastic Easter eggs (If you are going to create the chick with wire legs, you will need an egg that hinges open)
- Socks – fun prints and patterns
- Optional: 18 gauge silver wire for legs, drill and small drill bit, duct tape (small piece to hold wires in place inside egg)
- Needle and thread (color coordinated with sock)
- Squeegee (cardboard or plastic gift card)
- Beads (for eyes)
- Craft foam (for beak)
Cut 2-1/2″ – 3″ lengths of socks. Cut in half lengthwise to create two pieces.
Fold in sides, overlapping in center and glue together with Aleene’s Flexible Stretchable Glue. (Use finger to spread glue into an even application to be certain that the two edges are glued together top to bottom.) Set aside to dry completely.
If you are creating the chick with wire legs, drill two holes side by side in bottom of egg.
Cut two piece of wire to approximately 6″ long. Curl one end of each piece to create loop. Bend loop back to 90 degree angle. Insert un-looped end of wire through holes inside egg. Use duct tape to hold wires in place inside egg. Snap egg closed.
Stitch running stitch along one edge of sock tube. Gather to create closed end and knot securely. Slip sock over egg and pull tightly over egg. If needed, cut away excess sock length to 1/2″.
Stitch running stitch along open edge of sock tube. Gather to create closed end and knot securely. Your egg is now covered with the sock.
Squeegee Aleene’s Tacky Glue onto inside of scrap of sock. This will give stability to the wings and keep the sock from fraying. Let glue dry completely. Cut wings from sock. The pattern design is a large “comma”.
Apply two dots of glue to front of egg (slightly above center point) for eyes. Press beads into glue.
Cut two triangles from craft foam for beak. Glue ends in place below eyes to create open beak.
Glue wings on sides of egg.
- To create the feather fluff, start to pull the fluff from one side of a feather and roll as you go. Dip rolled end in Aleene’s Tacky Glue and glue to top of egg.
Read Next5-Minute Crochet Easter Bunny
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Join our community of 5 million crafters!
- Get free craft projects, exclusive partner offers, and more.
- Information Use
Thank You for Signing Up!
There was an issue signing you up. Please check your email address, and try again.