Perfect Storage Shelf
Everybody has a special spot commonly known as the "junk drawer." If you're looking for an ideal home decor upgrade, this Perfect Storage Shelf will certainly fit the bill. Best of all, this is the easiest storage shelf you'll ever make. When you look at these cute shelves, all thoughts of junk will fly out the window. Get yourself a bit more organized with the Perfect Storage Shelf - the most adorable DIY shelving idea around. After all, your precious "junk" deserves a much cuter home.
You can find this project, and many more just like it, in our new free eBook, How to Paint Furniture: 19 Upcycled Furniture Projects free eBook from DecoArt!
Americana® Decor™ Accessories
- Waxing & Finishing Brush (ADB01)
Americana® Decor™ Chalky Finish Paint
- Everlasting (ADC01)
- Heritage (ADC09)
- Inheritance (ADC12)
- New Life (ADC14)
- Relic (ADC28)
- Remembrance (ADC23)
- Romance (ADC06)
- Treasure (ADC19)
Americana® Decor™ Crème Waxes
- Clear (ADM01)
Primers, Sealers, and Finishes
- Americana® Matte Spray Finish (DAS13)
- water container
- Palette or plastic plate
- Paper towels
- White cloth
- 2" flat brush
- Tape or spray adhesive
- Contac® paper
- X-Acto® knife
- 1-1/2" pouncer
- Shelf frame with baskets (flea market find)
Let dry completely between painting steps.
- Remove baskets and wipe piece down with a damp paper towel.
- Use a 2" Flat brush to base coat the entire frame with Relic. Rinse brush.
- Use scissors to cut contac paper to fit the top of the shelf.
- Use a spray adhesive with a very light coat to adhere contac paper to top of shelf.
- Then put pattern on top and hold down with tape or use a spray adhesive with a very light coat.
- With an X-acto knife cut out shapes and words to make into a pattern.
- Use pouncer to fill in words and shapes. Load separately with Treasure, Romance, New Life, Remembrance, Inheritance, and Heritage. Rinse and dry pouncer between each color change and at end.
- Use the pouncer and the handle end of a small paint brush or pencil eraser to make various size dots to areas on the pattern using Everlasting, Inheritance, Relic, Remembrance, and Heritage. Rinsing the pouncer and wiping off handle or eraser in between color changes and at end.
- Carefully remove the contac paper and let paint dry completely.
- Use sand paper to sand the entire storage frame and over pattern. Then wipe clean with a damp paper towel.
- Use a white gel pen to add little dots and lines for a more whimsical look. Let dry completely.
- Then use Americana Matte Spray Sealer to hold the gel pen in place. Just use a light mist.
- Use #2 Flat brush with Treasure to paint the two wicker baskets. Rinse brush and let dry completely.
- Use waxing and finishing brush to apply Clear Creme Wax to entire storage frame and entire baskets. Let dry completely.
- Use a white cloth to buff wax to a light satin sheen. (Optional)
- Add embellishments or ribbon to baskets (Optional) and place baskets back into Storage frame.
Read NextDiaper Caddy DIY Basket