Summer Party: Lanterns
Create a collection of paper lanterns in the coolest "Breaking Free" papers for a summer party. Leave as permanent features hanging under your outdoor umbrellas or scatter around tables in your home. For the matching table decorations for this summer party collection, including coasters, napkin rings and placemats, check out this article.
Materials (For Lanterns, Placemats, Coasters and Napkin Rings):
- 4 – My Mind’s Eye Breaking Free Sunkissed “All Girl” Die Cut paper (placemats)
- 2 – My Mind’s Eye Breaking Free “Cowabunga” Oh So Very Cool Dots
- 1 – My Mind’s Eye Breaking Free Sunkissed “Sweet” Flora paper
- 1 – My Mind’s Eye Breaking Free Cowabunga “Beach Bum” paper
- 1 – My Mind’s Eye Breaking Free “Wild Ride” You are a Star paper
- 1 – My Mind’s Eye Breaking Free “Lighten-Up, Baby!” Dots paper
- 1 – My Mind’s Eye Breaking Free “Lighten-Up, Baby!” tag
- 1 – My Mind’s Eye Breaking Free “You are a Star” tag
- 1 – My Mind’s Eye Breaking Free “Summertime Boy” tag
- 1 – My Mind’s Eye Breaking Free “Summer Camp” proceed with adventure tag
- 1 – My Mind’s Eye Breaking Free “Sunkissed” Only Smiles – Girl title
- 1 – My Mind’s Eye Breaking Free “Sunkissed” Only Smiles – Girl tag
- 1 – My Mind’s Eye Breaking Free “Sunkissed” All Girl tag
- 1 – My Mind’s Eye Breaking Free “Fruit Flavored” Lovin’
- 2 – My Mind’s Eye Penny Lane “Maggie Mae” Chloe Lynn Bright Moons paper (placemats)
***Also used: ribbon, glitter glue, bling, stamps & brown ink, ceramic coaster ***
Materials can be found at My Mind's Eye.
- Cut paper to 8 x 12 and fold in half length-wise.
- Fold up 1 ½” border.
- Make a straight cut every ¾” leaving 1 ½” border.
- Unfold and adhere 1 ½” x 12” strip of contrasting paper (inked) on border do not put adhesive to edges if you want to sew.
- Sew edges, if desired.
- Add stamping and glitter glue now. Allow to dry.
- Roll up and glue or staple the short edges of the paper together.
- Cut strip of paper to 1” x 8” and add to lantern for handle. (I used a brad.)
- Punch holes on opposite sides of lantern and add tag using jute.
- Embellish with ribbon, glitter glue, bling, stamps, etc.
Check out the matching table decorations for this summer party collection!
Read NextMason Jar Wedding Centerpieces
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Jul 23, 2010
i just wish it was a video were the shoe you step by step lol lol i just broke to much paper am new of this but i will keep trying becouse i like it..
May 29, 2010
I wish we had a template with the directions that would help me I'm not quick at photos LOL love this lantern. Razzy
May 24, 2010
What a great idea for outdoor festivities in the summer. I remember making these in grade school! What about stringing a bunch along with lights in them , like the Christmas lights that don't get very hot. I just don't understand what the tags are for.
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Join our community of 5 million crafters!
- Get free craft projects, exclusive partner offers, and more.
- Information Use