Crochet Shawl for Summer
This Crochet Shawl for Summer is great to wear over a dress on a chilly summer night. Try this free crochet pattern to make a pretty shawl with fringe for all of those special occasions. This lovely homemade accessory is essential for summer nights, because it can keep the cool breeze from giving you a chill while still remaining lightweight enough to wear during warmer temperatures.
Easily customizable, this pattern is pretty in just about any colors. Make a versatile shawl by hooking it up in greys and whites or stand out in something sunny.
- Crochet hook: US size K/10.5 (6.5mm); tapestry needle (tn)
- Caron International’s Feathers (65% acrylic / 35% nylon; 1.75oz / 50g, 70yd / 64m): 8 skeins #0009 Sandpiper
In pattern st, 5 [dc, ch 1] and 5 rows = 4"/10 cm
Pattern stitch is very flexible; Gauge is not crucial for this project.
- Chain (ch)
- Double crochet (dc)
- Single crochet (sc)
- Triple crochet (tr)
- Slip stitch (sl st)
- Ch 4; join with a sl st to first ch to form a ring.
- Row 1: Ch 4 (counts as tr), work 2 dc, 1 tr in ring, turn—4 sts.
- Row 2: Ch 4 (counts as tr, ch 1), work [1 dc in space between sts, ch 1] twice, work [dc, ch 1, tr] in turning ch (inc), turn—5 sts/4 ch-1 spaces.
- Row 3: Ch 4 (counts as tr ch-1), [dc, ch 1, dc] in first ch-1 space (inc), ch 1, * dc in next ch-1 space, ch 1; repeat from * to turning ch, work [dc, ch 1, tr] in turning ch (inc), turn—7 sts/6 ch-1 spaces.
- Repeat Row 3, increasing 2 sts each row until there are 83 sts/82 ch-1 spaces; do not break yarn, turn.
Continuing along upper edge, ch 1, work 1 sc in first ch-1 space, * 3 dc in next ch-1 space, sc in next ch-1 space; repeat from * to turning ch, end 1 sc in turning ch; do NOT break yarn, do NOT turn.
Ch 15, sc in same space as last sc (turning ch); continuing along side edge, * ch 15, sc in next space; repeat from * around, working [ch 15, sc in beginning ring] twice to turn the corner; join with a sl st to first sc of Shell edging.
More Crochet Shawl Patterns to Wear This Summer
These free crochet patterns show you how to work up lightweight and lovely patterns that add chic crochet to wardrobe without weighing you down.
- Crochet Shoulder Shrug Pattern
- Garden Party Hat Crochet Pattern
- Summer Crochet Beanie
- Simple Summer Cover Up