Playing with Sketches
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
Playing with Sketches: 50 Creative Exercises for Designers and Artists
By Whitney Sherman
Gifted by Rockport Publishers
Reviewed by Melissa Conner, Editor of FaveCrafts.com
There's nothing quite so intimidating and exhilarating as a blank page. The art of putting pen to paper is something that has been inspiring and motivating the human race since the dawn of time...and in her new book, Playing with Sketches: 50 Creative Exercises for Designers and Artists, author Whitney Sherman shows readers how to give their doodles and drawings a grownup look...and take everything from simple lines to amazing Post-It doodles to a whole new level.
Broken down into various sections, Playing with Sketches is a hands-on approach to exploring drawing principles and ways of thinking. Readers learn through the process of play and art. This book presents a series of basic warm-up exercises that then progress into more challenging activities, including 2-D shapes, inventive sketchbooks, and letterforms. The creative, adaptable ideas and numerous examples of designers and artists give the reader a peek in to the way these contributors think and see...and how they decorate and illuminate the world around them.
The great thing about Playing with Sketches is that it's great for artists of all levels. The exercises in this book are not meant to intimidate the reader; rather they're geared towards strengthening the creative muscle from concept to final execution.
What I loved most about Playing with Sketches is that you begin to look at things all around you in a whole new way. Everything from paper scraps to book pages become art right before your eyes. For example, the section on Sticky Notes Quilts is just amazing! Each Post It note contains a different drawing and when they're put all together on a wall, they create the most amazing quilt design! This would be a fun decoration for a kids room or office space and a fun bonding activity for a group of friends who love to doodle!
Filled with lots of design tutorials, techniques, and inspirations, Playing with Sketches is a fabulous book for artists of all skill levels to have on hand. Whether you are looking to learn a new skill or are just looking for something to inspire you, this book will forever change the way you look at a blank sheet of paper.
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
- Joy of Zentangle
- Itty Bitty Crocheted Critters
- Learn to Embroider with the Best of Leisure Arts
- Crazy Cool Duct Tape Projects
- Patterns in Polymer: Imprint & Accent Bead Techniques
- Christmas Crafts Scandinavian Style
- Opulent Bazaar Adult Coloring Book Review
- Bath Knits Book Review
- Ready, Set, Scrap
- How to Make 100 Paper Flowers
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- All About Your Heart Coloring Page
- Top 6 Things to Do While Crafting
- Crochet Easy Ribbed Scarf
- 1920s Inspirational Quote Adult Coloring Page
- Be Kind or Be Quiet Adult Coloring Page
- Upcycled Photo Stands
- Peggy's Pocket Afghan
- Love/ Luck Reversible Sign
- Crochet Baby Ruffle Socks
- Simple Go To Crochet Blanket
- 11 Crochet Shawl Patterns: Crochet Poncho Patterns, Free Easy Crochet Patterns and More
- 12 Knitted Scarf Patterns: Fabulous Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
- 14 Free Crochet Patterns for Babies and Toddlers
- 16 Free Crochet Hat Patterns, Scarves, and Gloves
- 22 Free Crochet Patterns: Afghan Patterns, Crochet Hats, and More
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- 7 Adult Coloring Pages
- 8 Free Apron Sewing Patterns
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- Quick & Easy Decoupage: 12 Fabulous Mod Podge Projects for Your Home