No-Brainer Crochet Chair Mats
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
Give your patio chairs a makeover without spending a bundle. These No-Brainer Crochet Chair Mats are so easy to make - you don't have to be a crochet effort to make some for yourself. Save your favorite t-shirts and use them for this quick and easy project. Scour your local thrift store for old chairs or head to a garage sale. No matter what, you'll spend less than you would at a big-box home goods store.
- Light to medium weight cotton fabric
- Rotary cutter and mat (optional)
- Crochet hook-size N
The amount of fabric needed depends on the size of the chair rug desired and the weight and texture of your fabrics. I used sheets, bed skirts and fabric scraps for my examples. My rugs are 15 inches in diameter and were made to fit my chairs.
Preparing the Fabric Yarn:
- Working across the length of your fabric, cut strips. For lightweight fabric I cut 1-inch-wide strips. To get stitches with approximately the same gauge, I cut 1/2-inch-wide strips from medium weight fabric. A rotary cutter and ruler will give you precise cuts, but the cut edges do not necessarily need to be straight and crisp since they will not be seen in the finished rug, cutting with scissors works just fine. Turn on a movie and snuggle up on the couch with a pile of fabric scraps and your scissors to make the job of strip cutting a little less tedious.
- Fold one end of a strip over 1/2 inch. Snip the center of the fold with a 1/4-inch slit. Unfold the end and you will have a 1/2-inch hole. Repeat on the other end of the strip and on both ends of each of your cut strips.
- With the end of one strip in one hand and the end of another strip in the other hand, place the right end over the left end. Line up the cut holes. Bring the other end of the right strip under the holes. Insert the strip into the holes and pull it through to the top. Continue to pull the entire strip through, locking the ends in place. You will have one continuous fabric yarn strip. Add the remaining strips in the same way. Roll the fabric yarn into a ball to prevent tangling. Note: If you run out of fabric yarn before you have completed your rug, you can easily add additional strips to the end as needed.
Crocheting the Chair Rugs:
ch = chain
dc = double crochet
sl st = slip stitch
Loop the end of the fabric yarn in your hand to begin a magic ring. Using a size N crochet hook, ch 3 (counts as first dc) in the ring. Crochet 11 dc in the magic ring for a total of 12 dc. Pull the tail of the fabric yarn to close up the center. Sl st to the top of the beginning ch 3.
Ch 3. 2 dc in each stitch for a total of 24 dc. Sl st in the top of the beginning ch 3.
Ch 3. *Crochet one dc in the first stitch and 2 dc in the next stitch. Repeat from * around the rug for a total of 36 dc. Sl st in the beginning ch 3.
Increase rounds are done by adding dc stitches in a series before ending with 2 dc in the final stitch of the series.
Crochet one dc in the next two stitches and 2 dc in the next. Continue around. (48 dc)
Crochet one dc in the next three stitches and 2 dc in the next. Continue around. (60 dc)
Continue rounds with increases until the rug is the desired diameter. Note: Each increase round will grow by 12 dc.
Ch 3. *skip next st, sl st in the next, ch 3. Repeat from * around the rug. Sl st to the base of the first ch 3.
Finish off and weave in the end on the back of the rug.
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Round Spa Scrubby Easy Crochet Pattern
Textured Washcloth Easy Crochet Pattern
Magical Healing Crochet Dishcloth
Basic Beginner Crochet Scarf
11 Crochet Stitch Videos
Easy Textured Crochet Wash Cloth
1-Hour Crochet Coffee Cozy
Beginner's Guide to Free Crochet Patterns
T-Shirt Yarn Round Rug
Cathedral Motif Granny Square Crochet Pattern
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Magical Summer Motifs Coloring Page
- Garden World Adult Coloring Page
- Patriotic Celebration Adult Coloring Page
- Ask and It Will Be Given Adult Coloring Page
- Wedding Cake Adult Coloring Page
- Fishers of Men Adult Coloring Page
- Daisy Pom Pom Rug DIY
- Sewn Crochet Hook Organizer Pattern
- Free Printable To Do List
- Simple Stars
- 11 Crochet Shawl Patterns: Crochet Poncho Patterns, Free Easy Crochet Patterns and More
- 12 Knitted Scarf Patterns: Fabulous Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
- 14 Free Crochet Patterns for Babies and Toddlers
- 16 Free Crochet Hat Patterns, Scarves, and Gloves
- 22 Free Crochet Patterns: Afghan Patterns, Crochet Hats, and More
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- 7 Adult Coloring Pages
- 8 Free Apron Sewing Patterns
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- Quick & Easy Decoupage: 12 Fabulous Mod Podge Projects for Your Home