Sunflower and Pumpkin Mug Rug
Discover one of our favorite fall mug rug patterns here.
If you're looking for the perfect mug rug for your favorite fall beverages, look no further than the Sunflower and Pumpkin Mug Rug! This adorable fall mug rug features adorable pumpkins, a border of leaves, and a big, blooming sunflower at the center. This pattern is made completely with iron on pieces. No need to sew the applique down unless you'll be washing the project; in that case, you'll want to stitch the applique down to make a sturdier final project. Make your house a fall home when the lovely season hits and make this project!
Enter for a chance to win the Clover Sewing Supplies Giveaway during the 10 Days of Thanks! This giveaway runs until November 18th and you can receive an extra entry by commenting below on this page. Be sure to also check out the grand prize giveaway featuring all the daily prizes in the 10 Days of Thanks!
Time to CompleteIn an evening
Primary TechniqueFabric Crafts
Project TypeMake a Project
- Pen for Tracing
- Iron Pressing Board
- Wonder Fuse (Art. No 4090)
- Fabric Requirements:
- 2 – 10” x 12” Background fabric
- 1 – 10” x 12” Batting
- 3 – Shades of Orange fabric for Pumpkins
- Yellow fabric for Sunflower
- Brown for Pumpkin Stems
- Brown with lines for Sunflower Center
- Green for Sunflower leaves and Stem
- Brownish/orange for oak/maples leaves
- Tip: Iron Fabric before starting your project.
Fall Mug Rug with Wonder Fuse
The Wonder Fuse is a paper backed fusible web useful for appliqué on apparel, quilts, embroidery, home decor and crafts. It keeps fabric soft and ready to sew, and recommended for your most delicate work and works perfectly when paired with the Wedge Iron. Project ideas are endless! Here’s one of our most recent projects using the Wonder Fuse.
Place the two pieces of background fabric right sides together then place the batting on top.
Sew around the edges using a ¼” seam. Leave a 2-inch opening so you can turn the fabric right side out. Clip the corners.
Turn the fabric right side out using the 2-inch opening. Then press folding the gap under. Close the gap by using a small strip of Wonder Fuse.
Make sure your images are Mirror Imaged (Reversed). Trace you images onto the paper side of your Wonder Fuse. Cut approximately ¼” outside of the traced line.
Download Template PDF Here
Iron the cut fusible pieces to the wrong side of the fabric that you have chosen to use on your project. Once you have fused the pieces, cut out your pieces on the traced lines.
As you arrange your pieces onto the background fabric, remove the paper backing then layer your pieces and fuse them into place.
Tip: If you will be washing the mug rug, you will need to sew around the applique.
Watch Wonder Fuse Tool School for more information about the tool:
- There is a maximum of one extra entry per person. The extra entry will be based upon a comment left on this post. Duplicate comments are not tallied.
- The winner will be selected at random from the comments on this page and the entries on the contest page.
- The winner will be contacted on the morning of November 19th, 2018.
- Email Address provided in their account (please do NOT leave your email address in the comments--you already provided it when you created your account)
- You have until November 18th, 2018 at 11:59pm EST to leave your comment on this post. Comments posted after that will not be counted.
- Contest open to anyone 18+ in US and/or Canada. Excludes Quebec and Puerto Rico.
What are your favorite fall icons? Pumpkins, sunflowers, leaves, or something else?
Read NextPinecone Sunflowers