Apple and Pineapple Wreath
This festive autumn and winter wreath is easy to make and looks great on any door and is a warm way to welcome guests into your home.
- STYROFOAM Brand Products:
- Egg, 5-7/8" x 3-7/8"
- Balls, eight 3"
- Artificial pine wreath, 24"
- Chenille stem, 12", green
- Fabric: 3/8 yd. red print; 1/3 yd. green print; 5/8 yd. gold print
- Thread, gold
- Double-faced fusing, 1 package
- Floral wire, 22-gauge
- Cinnamon sticks, eight 1" lengths
- Dried materials: Yarrow, eight stems; Sweet Annie, 1 package
- Awl or other tool with sharp point
- Rotary cutter (optional)
- Wire cutters
- Iron, ironing board
- Thick, white craft glue or low temperature glue gun and glue sticks
For pattern, click here.
1. Flatten tops and bottoms of foam balls by pressing against a tabletop. Cut 16, 3/4" strips of red fabric, cutting selvage to selvage. Wrap two fabric strips around each ball, gluing ends. With scissors, carefully poke a hole in top of each apple; add glue and insert a 1" cinnamon stick.
2. Fuse, wrong sides together, two 2-1/2" X 10-1/2" pieces of green print fabric. Using pattern, cut out eight leaves. Glue leaf to base of each stem.
3. From gold fabric, cut six 3/4" strips selvage-to-selvage and 46 3-1/4" circles. Wrap fabric strips around egg, gluing ends.
4. To make yo-yos, turn under 1/8" on edge of each circle; sew running stitch around edge and gather tightly; knot and cut thread. Glue yo-yos to egg in rows, leaving bare a 2" opening at back and a 1 -1/2" circle at top.
5. Cut two 7-1/2" x 18" pieces of green fabric. Remove backing from one side of double-faced fusing and finger press to wrong side of one fabric piece. Using patterns, trace five small and nine large leaves on paper backing; cut out. Cut 14 9" lengths of floral wire. Fuse leaves to wrong side of remaining fabric piece, sandwiching length of floral wire between leaves; wire should be positioned 1/8" from leaf tips, with excess at the stem end. Cut out leaves; trim wire stem to 1-1/2".
6. Poke 14 holes in top of pineapple with awl; glue leaf in each hole.
7. Make hanger from chenille stem.
8. Form "nest" for pineapple in bottom curve of wreath by bending up several pine branches from back of wreath. Nestle pineapple in bottom curve of wreath, resting against bent branches; glue in place.
9. Arrange and glue apples to wreath. Fill in with stems of yarrow and Sweet Annie.
10. Bend pineapple leaves.
®™ Trademark of The Dow Chemical Company ("Dow") or an affiliated company of Dow. For more project ideas, please see styrofoamstyle.com.
See this project and more in 16 Decorative Front Door Wreath for Fall.