Autumn Afghan with Fleur de lis Design
Knitted squares of color offset a center panel with a unique fleur de lis design in this free afghan pattern from Authentic Knitting Board.
- 28” Knitting Board
- Knit hook
- Crochet hook for edges
- Large sewing needle for seams
- Yarn: Brown Sheep Lambs Pride or Lion Brand Vanna’s Choice. Green Yarn= (4) (brown sheep) Brown Yarn= (3) Gray Yarn= (1)
- Gauge is 3.3 Sts=1”
Finished afghan is aprox 42” square.
Knit center square of 18” X 18” colors green and gray.
- Cast On 64 sts in color gray.
- Knit (4) rows. Cut yarn.
- Tie in color green. Knit (6) rows.
- Tie in color gray on needle #10. Do not cut green yarn.
- Fleur-de-lis pattern consists of 3 rows.
- First row-Weave gray yarn on needle #10 front to back. Drag over to needle #25, weave front to back, and then do needle #40 and #55. Lay gray yarn down. Do not cut.
- Pick up green yarn and knit in Stockinette skipping the needles covered with gray yarn. Hook over all needles.
- Second row-pick up gray yarn and weave 3 needles, front to back, at each fleur de lis making the center match the stitch on last row. Lay down the gray yarn. Pick up green yarn and weave in Stockinette skipping the needles with gray yarn. Hook over all needles.
- Third row-repeat as you did the first row with one gray stitch in center of last row. Lay down the gray, pick up the green and weave in stockinette skipping the stitches covered with gray yarn.
- Cut the gray yarn and tie off at last stitch used.
- Knit in Stockinette with green yarn for (8) rows.
- Repeat the (3) rows of Fleur de lis by tying in the gray yarn.
- Keep it attached until the completion of all (3) rows of the pattern.
- Knit in stockinette with green yarn for 8 rows.
- Continue with a total of 5 series of Fleur de lis and the 8 rows of green stockinette knit. End the piece with (6) rows of color green.
- Cut the green yarn. Tie in the gray yarn.
- Knit 4 rows of color gray in Stockinette Stitch.
- Bind off.
- Rectangles in one color: (knit 3)
- Knit (1) in color brown. Knit (2) in color green.
- Cast On 32 sts.
- Knit 70 rows. Bind off.
- Rectangles in 2 colors (knit 2)
- Cast on 32 sts in color gray. Knit (4) rows. Cut yarn. Tie in color brown.
- Knit (70) rows. Bind Off.
- GRAY STRIPES: Knit (2).
- Cast On 5 sts in Color gray. Knit (144) rows.
- SEWING IT ALL TOGETHER: Sew the pieces with inside invisible stitching. This way, the pieces will lay flat together and the seams will not show.
- Lay the afghan out with the FDL as the center.
- Sew (1) Color Rectangle onto center at the gray stripe.
- Sew (1) Color rectangle onto center at opposite gray stripe. Set aside.
- Sides of Afghan: Sew (1) 2-color rectangle to color #1 rectangle at gray narrow stripe.
- Sew the other 2-color rectangle Color #1 rectangle at narrow gray stripe.
- Place gray strip on long edge of (1) side of afghan. Sew, working the ends to meet.
- Place 2nd strip on other long edge of the other side of afghan. Sew.
- Sew the strips and sides to center piece to complete the afghan. Work all pieces to seams by stretching out the knit as you sew.
- Start at center points and work toward both ends to be sure the pieces are balanced as you work.
- Once all the pieces are attached and knotted well, pull in any yarn tails.
- Your warm afghan is complete.
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
More from "Autumn"
Whether you call it autumn or fall, you will find tons of fall craft ideas to decorate your home. These easy autumn crafts, like DIY fall wreaths, are perfect to make once the first leaf drops.