Cardinal Christmas Wreath
Use holiday berries, pine cones, ribbons and red cardinals to create a lovely Cardinal Christmas Wreath that will last for many seasons. If you're looking for Christmas wreath ideas, start with a simple Styrofoam base and add fun embellishments. Homemade Christmas wreaths can help you decorate your space without spending a fortune. You'll love the look of this rustic Christmas craft idea and will want to save it forever. Don't be afraid to think outside the box and add your own fun embellishments - this is a quick and easy project that is completely customizable.
- STYROFOAM Brand Foam Wreath, 12" X 2" X 2"
- Spray paint: copper metallic; gold glitter
- Artificial greenery sprays, two each: evergreen; red berry; crabapple
- Preserved grapevine, small amount
- Pinecones, four
- Feather cardinals, two
- Ribbon: iridescent green/copper wire-edged, 1-1/2" X 3 yds.; red velvet, 3/4" X 2-1/2 yds.
- Chenille stems, three
- Floral U-pins
- Green floral tape: light; dark
- Serrated knife
- Candle stub or paraffin
- Wire cutters
- Low-temp glue gun and glue sticks
- Wax serrated knife with candle stub or paraffin. Bevel top edges of wreath with knife.
- Wrap entire wreath with light green floral tape. Wrap a few pieces of dark green tape over light green tape at random intervals.
- In a well-ventilated area, follow manufacturer's instructions to spray wreath with light coat of copper paint. Immediately wipe with sponge to remove majority of paint, leaving light copper accents. Repeat if needed. Spray pinecones copper; let dry.
- Twist one chenille stem into hanging loop. Glue and insert stem ends into top back of wreath. Secure hanger with floral pins.
- Glue and insert evergreen sprays in arc across center top of wreath. Cut small clump from one spray; glue to inside of wreath at 5 o'clock position. Glue pinecone and cardinal to evergreen clump. Let dry.
- Bend green ribbon into 6" wide, three-loop bow with 15" tails; secure center with chenille stem. Repeat with red ribbon, making loops slightly smaller. Glue green bow to center top of wreath and red bow to center of green bow. Allow tails to cascade through center of wreath; spot glue ribbons to wreath. Cut green ribbon ends in a "v"; cut red tails diagonally.
- Glue remaining cardinal into top of bow. Glue remaining pinecones around bow. Glue and insert twigs, berries and crabapples as shown. Twist grapevine around wreath; spot glue to secure.
- Spray entire wreath with gold glitter spray; let dry completely.
Read NextDIY Red Christmas Button Wreath
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Nov 16, 2015
I love the Cardinal Wreath but would sure like to have a nice sized picture to go along with the directions. I go by pictures as well as directions. Don't happen to have one do you? -)
Nov 16, 2015
Thanks for your comment, arkansasfox42! Unfortunately, we do not have a photo for this project. Let us know if you try it out. We'd love to post your photo. :) Kaylee, Editor of FaveCrafts.com
Jul 20, 2013
Just sos y'all know, there's more to the great state of Missouri than St. Louis. ;)
jazzeerose1 349587 0
May 09, 2011
I would injoy the christmas wreaths.I like doing xmas crafts.I also like to do all crafts like the wreaths.Painting on canves drawing with acrylic paint.i hope when you said free you mean free.i cant buy anything.The way i read it thats whhat you mean what you say.if i have to buy anything i dont want to do this.i love art and crafts.you said free ok we'll see if you mean what you say.. thanks Patricia Roden
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Join our community of 5 million crafters!
- Get free craft projects, exclusive partner offers, and more.
- Information Use