Let’s Talk Turkey Crochet Silverware Holder
Celebrate Thanksgiving by working up this crochet turkey pattern.
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
Learn how to crochet a turkey that has a dual purpose! Dress up your place settings this Thanksgiving with the Lets Talk Turkey Crochet Silverware Holder. This adorable project is a wonderful way to greet guests ready to sit down to the best meal of the year. This pattern is composed of several basic shapes like a hexagon motif and vividly colorful ovals to make the feathers. If you decide you don't want to make them for every place setting, crochet a few to decorate the table, or you can even turn them into wall decorations! Get in the mood for Thanksgiving with a turkey crochet pattern like this one.
1. Head and body are worked in continuous (spiral) rounds. Do not join at end of round unless stated otherwise. Place marker for beginning of round and move marker up as each round is completed.
2. To change color, work last stitch of old color to last yarn over. Yarn over with new color and draw through all loops on hook to complete stitch. Proceed with new color. Cut old color.
Crochet HookG/6 or 4 mm hook
Yarn Weight(4) Medium Weight/Worsted Weight and Aran (16-20 stitches to 4 inches)
Crochet Gauge6 sc = 1½" (4 cm); 6 rounds = 1½" (4 cm). CHECK YOUR GAUGE. Use any size hook to obtain the gauge.
Finished SizeSilverware holder measures 7¾" (19.5 cm) from top of center feather to bottom of body.
- RED HEART® Super Saver®: 1 skein each 334 Buff A, 321 Gold B, 319 Cherry Red C, 3950 Charcoal D, 256 Carrot E, and 528 Medium Purple F
- Susan Bates® Crochet Hook: 4mm [US G-7].
- Yarn needle
- Stitch marker,
- Two ⅜" (9.5mm) round buttons
Enter for a chance to win the Red Heart Super Saver Yarn Bundle Giveaway during the 10 Days of Thanks! This giveaway runs until November 18th and you can receive an extra entry by commenting below on this page. Be sure to also check out the grand prize giveaway featuring all the daily prizes in the 10 Days of Thanks!
Here’s a unique crochet idea for setting a special Thanksgiving table for your guests. Pop your silverware into these colorful turkeys and set the stage for a memorable meal!
With A, ch 2.
Round 1: Work 6 sc in 2nd ch from hook—6 sc. Place marker on first st.
Round 2: Work 2 sc in each sc around—12 sc.
Round 3: *Sc in next sc, 2 sc in next sc; repeat from * around—18 sc.
Round 4: *Sc in next 2 sc, 2 sc in next sc; repeat from * around—24 sc.
Round 5: *Sc in next 3 sc, 2 sc in next sc; repeat from * around—30 sc.
Round 6: *Sc in next 4 sc, 2 sc in next sc; repeat from * around; join with slip st in first sc—36 sc. Fasten off, leaving a long tail for sewing.
Body (make 2)
Rounds 1–6: Work same as Rounds 1–6 of head. Do not join or fasten off at end of last round.
Round 7: *Sc in next 5 sc, 2 sc in next sc; repeat from * around—42 sc.
Round 8: *Sc in next 6 sc, 2 sc in next sc; repeat from * around—48 sc.
Round 9: *Sc in next 7 sc, 2 sc in next sc; repeat from * around; join with slip st in first sc—54 sc. Fasten off, leaving a long tail for sewing.
With B, ch 5, slip st in 2nd ch from hook, sc in next ch, hdc in next ch, 5 hdc in last ch; working in opposite side of foundation ch, hdc in next ch, sc in next ch, slip st in last ch. Fasten off, leaving a long tail for sewing.
With C, ch 6, sc in 3rd ch from hook, slip st in each remaining ch. Fasten off, leaving a long tail for sewing.
Wing (make 2)
With D, ch 9.
Row 1: Sc in 2nd ch from hook and in each ch across, turn—8 sc.
Row 2: Ch 1, sc in first 6 sc; leave remaining sc unworked, turn—6 sc.
Row 3: Ch 3, sc in 2nd ch from hook and in next ch, sc in each sc across, turn—8 sc.
Rows 4–7: Repeat Rows 2 and 3 twice. Fasten off, leaving a long tail. Weave tail through ends of rows and pull tightly to gather.
Leg (make 2)
With B, ch 9.
Row 1: Sc in 2nd ch from hook and each remaining ch across, turn—8 sc.
Row 2: *Ch 5, sc in 2nd ch from hook and in next 3 ch, slip st in end of Row 1; repeat from * twice; working in opposite side of foundation ch, slip st in each ch. Fasten off, leaving a long tail for sewing.
Tail Feather (make 5)
With B, ch 12.
Row 1 (right side): Sc in 2nd ch from hook and in next 3 ch, hdc in next 5 ch, dc in next ch, 6 dc in last ch; working in opposite side of foundation ch, dc in next ch, hdc in next 5 ch, sc in last 4 ch; change to E, turn—26 sts.
Row 2: Ch 1, sc in first 6 sts, hdc in next 5 sts, 2 dc in next 4 sts, hdc in next 5 sts, sc in last 6 sts; change to F, turn—30 sts.
Row 3: Ch 1, sc in first 12 sts, 2 dc in next 6 sts, sc in last 12 sts—36 sts. Fasten off.
Refer to photograph for placement of all pieces.
Arrange beak slightly above center of face and sew in place. Sew wattle on top of beak. Sew buttons for eyes above beak and wattle.
Overlap head on first 4 rounds of 1 body piece and sew in place.
Sew wings to head and body.
Position feathers to form a fan, slightly overlapping first 6 rows, and sew together with strand of E. With right side facing, pin feathers to back side of body.
With wrong sides together, sew body pieces together, leaving opening between 3 center feathers unsewn.
Sew legs in place.
Weave in ends.
- A, B, C
- Color A, Color B, Color C, etc.
- double crochet
- half double crochet
- single crochet
- repeat whatever follows the * as indicated
- There is a maximum of one extra entry per person. The extra entry will be based upon a comment left on this post. Duplicate comments are not tallied.
- The winner will be selected at random from the comments on this page and the entries on the contest page.
- The winner will be contacted on the morning of November 19th, 2018.
- Email Address provided in their account (please do NOT leave your email address in the comments--you already provided it when you created your account)
- You have until November 18th, 2018 at 11:59pm EST to leave your comment on this post. Comments posted after that will not be counted.
- Contest open to anyone 18+ in US and/or Canada. Excludes Quebec and Puerto Rico.
Have you ever crafted for Thanksgiving before? What did you make?
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Project of the Day
Make a Soda Bottle Chandelier Plastic Bottle Craft and discover a great way to reuse all those water bottles that you have in your… Continue reading: "Soda Bottle Chandelier Plastic Bottle Craft"
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Pampering Vanity Set: Tissue Box Organizer & Tray
- DIY Fabric Planter
- Lego Block Pillows (Free PDF Pattern!)
- Sundress for Women
- Loopy Love
- How to Make Boring Glass Stunning
- Hot Air Balloon Patriotic Cupcake Decorations
- Father's Day Candy Bar Wrappers
- Plush Poms Bath Mat
- 11 Crochet Shawl Patterns: Crochet Poncho Patterns, Free Easy Crochet Patterns and More
- 12 Knitted Scarf Patterns: Fabulous Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
- 14 Free Crochet Patterns for Babies and Toddlers
- 16 Free Crochet Hat Patterns, Scarves, and Gloves
- 22 Free Crochet Patterns: Afghan Patterns, Crochet Hats, and More
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- 7 Adult Coloring Pages
- 8 Free Apron Sewing Patterns
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- Quick & Easy Decoupage: 12 Fabulous Mod Podge Projects for Your Home