Creative Diary Cover
Create a fun a colorful cover for your journal or diary, from Jacquard Products.
- Jacquard Castaway Stamp Pad
- Simple handmade journal—this one has a folded cardstock cover and several pages stapled inside.
- Jacquard Extravorganza
- Jacquard Pearl Ex Stamp Pads Gold, Black and Copper
- PolyShrink™ plastic/Lucky Squirrel
- Jacquard Lumiere Burgundy, Old Brass, Burnt Orange
- Vellum Tape (3M), Glue Dots
- Fibers or ribbons to coordinate with project
- Cosmetic sponge (optional)
- Rubber Stamps - Petroglyph Angels - set 72 (Impress Me/Sherrill Kahn), 2106 Berry Sprig (Hampton Art Stamps), 2186 Large Handwriting (Hampton Art Stamps), LL847 Classic Lowercase (Hero Arts)
- Inkjet Printer
- Heat Gun
- Fine grit sandpaper
- Tag shaped template or Sizzix die cut machine with tag die
- 1/8" hole punch or Japanese screw punch
- Note: Unlike traditional pads, the Castaway pad works by removing color from the paper. The results are unpredictable- using the ink on one kind of black paper may leave a beige or whitish image; on another type the image may look greenish while a third is not affected at all! Plan to experiment with different papers-watching the results is half the fun! The pad will not work on coated papers. Before beginning a particular project, always test the Castaway ink on a sample of the paper you will be using.
- Follow the directions on the ExtravOrganza package to print a sheet with several words. Font selection is up to you, but size the words so that they are at least 3/4" to 1" tall. cut out words from the printed ExtravOrganza sheet. Remove the fabric from the paper backing. Fringe the edges of each word by pulling threads along each edge of the fabric.
- Using the clear Castaway inkpad, stamp the journal front with stamps from Sherrill Kahn’s Petroglyph Angels collection. Set the journal aside for at least 5 minutes.
- With a dry iron set on cotton setting, iron the journal cover until the stamped images "appear."
- Use your fingertips or a sponge to add sheer smudges of color to the journal cover with Lumiere paints.
- Overstamp the journal cover with the berry sprig stamp in gold Pearl Ex ink. Add accents with the handwriting stamp using black ink.
- Lightly sand the shrink plastic in both directions. Use the tag template or the die cut machine to cut out a tag shape from the sanded shrink plastic.
- Lightly sponge Lumiere paints onto the shrink plastic. Remember that the colors will be more concentrated after shrinking. Stamp desired message onto tag shape with black Pearl Ex ink.
- Heat the shrink plastic with embossing heat gun until it reaches its final size.
- Adhere the ExtravOrganza words to the journal cover with vellum tape. Use craft Glue Dots to attach the shrink plastic tag.
- Punch hole in journal cover and add fibers/ribbons.