Denim Flower Brooch
Use some old denim to create a fun flower brooch for Mother's Day. Attach to a pin back to make a brooch. This denim flower from Terry Ricioli would look great attached to a straw bag for summer. This free sewing pattern shows you how to transform old jeans into brand new sewing projects. Perfect for adding to DIY tote bags or other crafts that could use a floral hint, this Denim Flower Brooch is easy to make and will barely cost you a time. Upcycled and unique, this pattern will help you update your wardrobe in under an hour.
For more beautiful handmade flower projects and how to sew a flower tutorials, check out our collection of 81+ Printable Flower Patterns.
- Old denim, 3” by 8” piece
- Bottle Cap Pendant (PN-186)
- Glue (G-S Hypo Cement used in sample)
- Old metal buttons, ¾” and ½”
- Cut two 3” circles and one 2” circle. These do not have to be perfect circles. Cut four petals in the large circles by cutting into the circle leaving the center together. Shape petals. Make each one a little different than the others. On the small circle, make 1” deep cuts around the circle creating fringe with varying widths.
- Sand the edges of the flowers with sandpaper to fray and distress them.
- Glue one large flower into the pendant pressing it into the pendant to shape the flower allowing petals to overlap. Glue second large flower center over the first with the petals placed in the gaps of the first flower’s petals. Place fringed small circle into the center rolling it to fit and allow the fringe to overlap.
- Stack the buttons and glue into the center of the flower. Push buttons down into the pendant and hold until glue sets.
- To wear as a pendant, add a chain or leather cord. To wear as a pin, glue a pin back to the back of the pendant with metal glue.
A note for using this project with children: To modify this project for children, use a plastic cap from a milk carton, paper or lighter cloth for the flowers, bright buttons and an adhesive-backed pin.
Read Next101+ Mother's Day Crafts for Adults
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Sep 12, 2011
@nana1124, A bottle cap pendant is a pendant that looks like a bottle cap. You can purchase them at our sister store, CutRateCrafts. Here is a link: http://www.cutratecrafts.com/search.php?task=run_search&search_term=bottle+cap+pendant --Editor of FaveCrafts
Sep 09, 2011
This looks to be such a cute project, but what is a bottle cap pendant and where do i get one?? Thank you for the help
May 28, 2010
This is a great idea and it will go well with the recycled denim purses I already make. I have a box full of buttons that will work for this also. Thanks for the ideas. Donna http://www.renselsyorkiesandpoodles.com http://www.buyholisticpetfood.com
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Join our community of 5 million crafters!
- Get free craft projects, exclusive partner offers, and more.
- Information Use