This Cupcake Skirt is perfect for twirling! Free easy knitting patterns like this are great if you want to spruce up your daughter's wardrobe without going broke! If made in the right color, you could even make a skirt for a school uniform!
- 2 balls (total of 12 oz or 340 gm) of 4-ply worsted weigh yarn in navy blue or color of your choice
- 16-inch circular knitting needle US #8 (5mm)
- 29-inch circular knitting needle US # 8 (5mm)
- 5mm crochet hook for chain and flower
- ¾-inch elastic waistband
- Tapestry needle
- Sewing needle and thread
- To make the waistband: With 16-inch circular knitting needle, cast on 100 stitches. Form cast on row into a ring by knitting into the first cast on stitch, make sure not to twist the row. Knit 6 rows. Purl 1 row. Knit another 6 rows. Purl 1 row.
- Begin skirt body tier 1: Knit 19 rows. P 1 row.
- Increasing Row to form tier 2: With 29 inch-circular needle *K1, yf repeat from * to the end. P1 row. (200 stitches total)
- Begin tier 2 body: Knit 22 rows.
- Increasing row to form tier 3: K1p1 into every stitches until the end of row. (400 stitches total)Knit another 21 rows. Then do Garter Stitch edge (p1row, k1row) twice. Bind off all stitches. Cut off yarn if you don't want picot edge. Don't cut off the yarn if you want to have picot edge and do the following;
- With a crochet hook, *chain 3, skip 1, sc into the 3 st; repeat from* to the end. Cut off yarn and secure to back of work.
- Cut out 22 inches of elastic waistband and sew both ends together to form a ring. Turn the skirt so that the wrong side is show on the outside. Place the elastic band at the 7th row and fold the first 6 rows of the skirt over it. Sew along the closing edge of the band with the same yarn using tapestry needle.
- Knit or crochet a long chain and thread it through the eyelet at the beginning of tier 2. Tie a little bow. Make a daisy flower and attach it on top of the bow.
- Chain 6 and join in a ring with slip st.
- Round 1: 14 sc in ring, sl st to 1st sc at beginning of round to close.
- Round 2: (into front strand of each sc work 1 sc, ch 6, 1 sc) 14 times, sl st to 1st sc to close.
- Round 3: (into back strand of each sc work 1 sc, ch 8, 1 sc) 14 times, sl st to 1 st sc, fasten off.
Read NextEasy Kids Knit Poncho