Multi Strand Necklace with a Twist
Crafters often ask how to make a multi-strand necklace that twist all the strands together, and how to keep the strands twisted together when the necklace is being worn. Now seems like a great time to do this multi-strand necklace project from The Bead Studio.
- 8/0 seed beads #100 Coral
- 11/0 seed beads #37044 Met Gold
- 2 Cones
- 2 yards Soft Flex, fine
- 14" 22g wire, gold colored
- Toggle Clasp
- Assorted Beads to accent the focal strand
- Chain Nose Pliers
- Wire Cutters
- Round Nose Pliers
- Crimp Pliers
- String four 18" strands of 8/0 seed beads on soft flex wire and double crimp the ends leaving a tiny loop at each end. The easiest way to get the small loop is to crimp over a piece of wire and then pull the wire out when you are done. (Double crimping adds extra security to the integrity of the finished piece)
- Createa 20" contrasting focal strand with 11/0 seed beads and any other beads you may want to use to add texture and contrast. Crimp only one side of this strand, double crimping for safety leaving a small loop at the end. Secure the other end of the focal strand with some scotch tape.
- Cut the 14" of 22g wire in half. Begin a wire wrapped loop but do not wrap closed yet, as each of these loops will hold five strands of beads and connect through the cone to attach the toggle clasp.
- Slide the four strands of 8/0 beads and the crimped side of the focal strand onto one of the open wire wrapped loops. Wrap closed with one full turn and trim the excess wire so the cone can fully slide over the loop and crimps to conceal.
- Slide the wide end of the cone onto the wire until all strands are firmly seated in the cone. Use the wire exiting the cone to create a loop on the narrow end of the cone and attach one half of the toggle clasp, wrap closed.
- Gather the four strands of 8/0 seed beads and slide onto the remaining open loop, leaving the focal strand aside and wrap closed one full turn. Trim excess wire.
- Starting from the side of the necklace with the cone attached, separate the focal strand and gently twist the four strands of 8/0 seed beads in a clockwise direction until the twist is consistent from one side of the necklace to the other.
- Take a hold of the focal strand and start wrapping in a counter clockwise direction. The focal strand being wrapped in the oppisite direction as the other four strands is what will hold the twist in place once the necklace is complete. Continue wrapping until you get to the wire wrapped loop that doens't have a cone attached yet.
- Grasp teh focal strand and wrap in the opposite direction (counter clockwise) around the twisted beads. This will hold the twist in one place once the necklace is complete. Contine wrapping until you reach the wire wrapped loop that doesn't have a cone attached yet.
- Slide on the second cone and create a wire wrapped loop to attach the second half of the toggle.