Groovy T Shirt Tote
Why go green and sacrifice style? With this Groovy T-Shirt Tote, there's no need to. This bag is made from recycled and earth-safe materials so feel free to strut your stuff and be groovy.
See this project and more T-Shirt sewing projects in 9 Ways to Transform Old T-Shirts, a free eBook to download!
- T-shirt any size
- Thread to match shirt
- Earth Safe Finishes www.earthsafefinishes.com
- Fabric Magic
- Generation Green Acrylic paint in Glacier and Sunflower
- Black fabric marker
- Wine cork
- Sponge (I prefer smaller celled sponges.)
- Sewing machine with stretch knit stitch
- Sheet of scrap cardboard
- Cut bottom of shirt off even with bottom of underarm seam. Cut off sleeves. Cut strip across width of shirt just under neckline. This will create 2 pieces for tote handles.
- Slide a piece of cardboard into bottom section of shirt. The cardboard will keep any paint from seeping through to other side of shirt. Pour small puddles of both paints out onto palette. Mix 2 drops of Fabric Magic into each paint. Dip cork into Glacier paint for each flower center.
- Dip side of sponge into Glacier paint. Press one end of sponge onto Glacier center then roll or press sponge outward forming a petal.
- Repeat 5 or 6 times working around center to form flowers. Add flowers as desired, refer to project photograph.
- Dip cork into Sunflower then onto flower centers. Allow paints to dry.
- Outline flower petals, add dots around centers and in clusters of threes using black marker.
- Turn painted shirt section inside out. Stitch across bottom using matching thread and a stretch stitch. Turn½” hem to inside along top edge, stitch down.
- Fold sides of strips (Handles cut from shirt in Step 1.) into center.
- Most knits will automatically roll inwards with gentle guidance. Stitch down length of strip.
- Sew ends of handles next to side seams. Each handle will span one side of tote with ends on opposite side seams. Shown is one side turned up into position it will be used and other end as it is stitched.
Read NextAltered Altoid Tins For Gift Giving