Out of Asia
Creating this Asian-inspired necklace from AMACO is easy with plastic and wire mesh.
- AMACO® Friendly Plastic – Metallic Red/Black, Metallic Gold/Black, Metallic Black
- AMACO® WireForm® Impression Mesh – Copper, 4 x 4 square
- AMACO® Rub ‘n Buff® – Gold Leaf
- Distress Embossing Powder – Old Paper
- 4” black embroidery floss
- Rubber stamp with image of choice
- Toggle of choice (copper)
- Clear Embossing ink
- Leather Cording
- White tacky craft glue
- Mold of Asian Coin
- AMACO® Poly Roller
- Non-stick work surface
- Heat Embossing Gun
- Electric Skillet with water
- Bowl of cold water
- Oil: either vegetable, mineral or baby oil
- Aluminum foil
- Apply oil to your hands and to all tools to prevent sticking and work on a non-stick surface.
- The designs should be placed on aluminum foil so that you can pick them up and manipulate them while preventing fingerprints.
- Heat water to 140 °F (60°C) in skillet.
- Apply clear embossing ink to stamp. Stamp design directly onto Red/Black stick of Friendly Plastic®. Sprinkle embossing powders onto plastic, remove excess and heat with embossing tool.
- Allow to cool in water then cut four ¼” strips from the stamped plastic. Apply oil to PolyRoller and a drop to work surface. Lay plastic onto work surface color side up. Heat with heat gun for 20 seconds until the Friendly Plastic® is very soft. Gently roll over design to slightly stretch and crackle. Cool in water.
- Cut design from black Friendly Plastic®. Heat with embossing tool until the plastic is very soft. Thread floss through mesh and knot. Drop metal mesh and lightly press down. Cool in water.
- Apply red strips to side. Heat with embossing tool to set. Dip in water. Cut thin strips of gold Friendly Plastic®. Lay these into skillet to soften. Use needle tool to pick them up and drape them in an “x” over the corners. Cool in water. Trim excess with scissors.
- Apply a small amount of oil to mold. Cut a strip of distressed Red Friendly Plastic®. Heat in water until soft and pliable. Press red side down into mold. Cool in water. Remove from mold and trim off excess plastic. Edges can be fixed and smoothed by reheating them slightly with the heat tool.
- Draw pattern onto back of plastic then cut out. Apply a ¼” wide strip of mesh down the front center. Cut two ¼” strips of distressed Red Friendly Plastic® 2” long. Heat until slightly soft – only a few seconds. Wrap around toothpick and press ends together. Allow to cool. Heat the ends with heat tool until very soft. Apply pendant back over these to create the bails. Thread leather cording thru bails.
- Wrap remaining wire around center leaving a 2” extension. Form a loop and wrap wire around to secure. Thread leather cording though wire and secure by wrapping wire around the ends until 2” remains. Loop and wrap remaining wire. Attach to toggles of choice.
- Glue coin to front and allow to dry.
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Join our community of 5 million crafters!
- Get free craft projects, exclusive partner offers, and more.
- Information Use
Thank You for Signing Up!
There was an issue signing you up. Please check your email address, and try again.